Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could this be true... U.S. Defender?

Default could this be true... U.S. Defender?

I know, I know, we've all been hearing these rumors for years, which only seems to reinforce the pain each time it doesn't come to pass... However, I've seen a few blogs and websites recently reporting on the return of the Defender to the U.S. market for the 2008 model. Some of these reports have LR3-like artist renderings of the vehicle. Any thoughts or info on this?

http://www.motortrend.com/future/spi...over_defender/

http://www.automotive.com/spied-cars...der/index.html

Default Does the US Market Really Want a Defender?

As enthusiasts we often beg that Land Rover return a Defender to the US market. I'm a committed Series II-A owner, so a Defender 90 or 110 has always seemed aspirational to me. However, I have to admit that I've also choked on the cost of a Defender. While I have sacrificed several relationships [lovely women who have ruined it all when they said "let's take my car" instead of riding in my II-A], and declared a gentle form of penury while running my II-A's as daily drivers, I must also note that I have never anted up the cost for a Defender - any model, any year.

There are many kinds of Defender owners, but most are looking at their Defenders as lifestyle, not utility, vehicles. That means they are often 2nd or 3rd cars to owners. Even at the height of their popularity, Land Rover could never shift more than 1,500 a year in the 1990's into the US. I have to question whether we as Americans really want the Defender as it's currently configured. I know I would love to have access to a Defender without central locking, air conditioning, seat heaters, etc.

The drawings that you posted for us [thanks!] show a sort of Hummer or a version of an XTerra, not the Defender we know and admire from afar. It will be interesting to see if Land Rover recaptures its heritage with a lower cost Defender aimed at our market. Who wouldn't love to see the nameplate back in the US?

Best wishes,

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

I'd still trade in our Disco and buy one in a heartbeat, if they don't radically change it to make it indistinguishable from the LR2 and LR3! To be honest, I wasn't impressed with the artist's renderings of the alleged new model. I still think my '69 Series IIa is a thing of beauty.
    1969 Series IIa 88, 1972 Series III 109,
    1976 Forward Control 101, 1976 MG Midget,
    2003 Discovery

Those renderings have been around for years.....

As much as I'd like to see a NAS Defender again, I'll believe it when I see it.
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

One can always dream, I guess...
    1969 Series IIa 88, 1972 Series III 109,
    1976 Forward Control 101, 1976 MG Midget,
    2003 Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Aronson

Land Rover could never shift more than 1,500 a year in the 1990's into the US. I have to question whether we as Americans really want the Defender as it's currently configured.
    It was priced too high for what you get. The same reason why Land Rovers are no longer the #1 vehicle for off road in Australia or Africa.

If a Defender were price and feature competitive with a Jeep Rubicon it would probably sell well in reasonable numbers. But I don't think it will ever sell in large numbers as an affluent person's life style image vehicle.

thumb-up

Lets face it people, the land rover of the past is dead and gone. Todays Land Rover NA is all about $. All leather, all power, etc. I had a called yesterday from a salesperson at a midwestern Land Rover dealership about looking at the LR3. I got to talking to him about the D90 and he had no idea of what I was talking about. Its all about ranger rovers and the high dollar vehicles. I can't figure out why they even offer four wheel drive anymore. Furthermore, I read in the news that Buick and lexus were rated number one in the least number of repairs. Yes, you guessed it Land Rover was at the very bottom. I guess the only hope that we all might have is if this sale of land rover/jag goes through and someone with half a brain fugures out that we want the 90 or 110 back without leather and all the whistles and bells. OK, I now feel better.

Thumbs down

Just took a look at the drawing of the 2007-08 defender ? looks like a jeep liberty to me.

They need to go back to the drawing board and produce a NAS Defender to supply those who want a brand new Defender here in NA.

If LR wanted, they could quickly revamp the one sold elsewhere to NAS but, still do not year after year.

Demand seems to be what drives production for LR. Demanf in NA is for luxury. Elsewhere it is for utility.

Show them they will sell. (with numerous pre-orders of 10,000 in NA) and they will build it.

This would require many of us to fork over 1000.00 to 5000.00 deposits to LR dealers for a dream and, not for nothing, most of us dont have the desire to have one that badly.
    Tim M.
    Ashburnham, MA

Does anyone on this site have any "inside contacts" with someone who works at land rover N.A. and can give us a straight answer on this defender issue ? Will it return or not ?