Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine knock... Does this sound familiar?

Could it be from the timing chain?

Sounds like a sticking valve to me.

Terry!!! Good to see you're still on here man! I'm BACK!

Guys, I made some time to get dirty with Sasquatch today so I got started by taking the oil pan off and inspecting things from underneath. Everything looked fine until I found what looked like part of a shim on the oil pumps mesh screen.

With the Oil Pan off, I was removing the last little bit of oil when I started to come across tiny golden nuggets. I immediately knew...

Two hours later:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by albersj51 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is it?
    When you click on the pic and enlarge it look at the pic title in the lower left corner.....

Jeff
    1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by badvibes View Post
    When you click on the pic and enlarge it look at the pic title in the lower left corner.....

Jeff
    I did, but it doesn't show up on my phone. Oh well, ill look when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by SalemRover View Post

On an unrelated topic, is your name 01001010 the binary equivalent of the ascii number for the letter J? Just curious.

-Jason
    Correctomundo!

Quote Originally Posted by 01001010 View Post
    Correctomundo!
    Good to know the geek has not left me entirely. I have one of those tappets and it failed just like that, but only because I did not install the pushrod correctly. Mine was on a diesel engine so the clatter was different, glad you found it.

-J

Bummer for sure. I'm surprised it's as intermittant as it is! ....and that it runs as seemingly smooth as it does.

Salem, this is the second time I've had a 2.25 with a broken tappet. My first was a Diesel and it the damage was on the same exact location of the tappet. I never got to hear that engine run so now I know EXACTLY what a damaged tappet sounds like.

I leak... I hear ya. Thats why I was so baffled! My bro and law and I just stared at the engine running for about 20 mins.... just stared