Thread: Hole in transmission housing

Default Hole in transmission housing

We were out running around and my front drive shaft broke at the transfer case hit my transmission housing and put a hole about 2x3 inches.

Anyone think it can be braised? If so and it can be reached can it be done with out pulling the transmission

Right now the shop wants to pull the transmission and have another shop weld it up.

I guess my third option is to by a used transmission.

Any Ideas

Thanks Jesse

Jesse,

Sorry to hear that. Please let us know the outcome on this.

While replacing my PAS pump, I came across several threads indicating that the NON SERVICEABLE driveshaft ujoints' grease literally cooks inside as it is inches from the catalytic converter, causing driveshaft failure and, if at speed, exactly what happened to you---it creates a massive hole in the tranny!

Ironically, an hour ago, I sent mine down to the shop to pull its perfectly fine driveshaft to be rebuilt with serviceable/greasable ujoints to prevent this.

Good luck,
    Julian
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    04 Freelander (sold, but still running strong)
    2011 LR2 (Fuji White/Tan....per the wife )
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

The shop is going to pull and reinstall the transmission for 400 bucks plus oil and filter.

It looks like we are going to weld up the hole.

The bummer is that it is already a after market custom heavy duty drive shaft. I spoke to the owner of the company and it seems like he will help me out with replacing the drive shaft.

I am looking for a good deal on 24 quarts of Amsoil and two transmission filters.

Jesse