Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Steering Help!

Could be a pump as well, but I'd have to hear it in person before I'd condemn it (I'm kinda cheap so I don't like replacing parts unless I'm convinced it's bad). Trying to remember if there's anything weird about changing the hoses and nothing specific comes up (but then again it's been abut 5 years since I retired and my memory is getting more suspect every day) I think one of the fittings on the gear is tough to get a wrench on. (high pressure I think). I remember 2 different approaches, one was to take the other hose off first then the hi press one, the other was using a long extension and a crowfoot wrench on the end. Hope this is helpful.
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

Gale,

Looks like its definitely the pump. I ripped off that underbelly panel and trashed it. Then I was able to run the car and watch fluid drip from the pump to my new low pressure hose (hose was bad too, but turns out its the pump also).

At least that looks like it.....so I will save $150 on the other two hoses that appear to not need replacing.

Will update later next week when the pump shows up!

Cheers,
    Julian
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    04 Freelander (sold, but still running strong)
    2011 LR2 (Fuji White/Tan....per the wife )
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

All set! Rebuilt pump with lifetime warranty, low pressure hose, and full synthetic fluid. Quiet, no leaks, no bubbling or frothing in the reservoir

Next, in the course of reading up on the ps pump, I read I should swap out the ujoints on my driveshaft to the greasable kind, else it may freeze up and blow through the tranny Driveshaft will come out next week hopefully.

Cheers,
    Julian
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

Glad you got that all handled. One thing about these is that you never run out of things to do.
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

Got that right Gale! Freelander headlamp went out.....pulled the bulb (not a complete unit ) and checked all fluids everywhere on the Series.....it was a Land Rover weekend!

Julian
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp