Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear driveshaft 109 S/W

Default Rear driveshaft 109 S/W

Anybody got the measurement for the rear drive shaft for a 109s/w? The one I have I got used but has a hand written tag on it that says dormobile. Did they have a different driveshaft or rear end? Mine has the rover axle in it.
    Robert

2006 LR3
    1967 109 Station Wagon
    M37B1
    M38A1

4 cylinder 109 or 6?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

4 cyl. I don't have the rear axle yet to measure

2006 LR3
    1967 109 Station Wagon
    M37B1
    M38A1

Quote Originally Posted by rosims View Post
    4 cyl.

OK. Sorry, I can't halp you there, I'm afraid.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Default axle

It should be a bone stock 109 four cylinder drive line with the Rover diff. The Dormy, was a standard 109 with the Goodies added. Now, it may appear to be "short" if there is no weight on the frame. Also the rear shocks will also be "short" they aren't.
    Jim Wolf

I guess I'll explain my situation a little better. I got this truck disassembled and I have 3 driveshafts. I got the front one the other 2 are two different lengths. With the slip yoke closed one is 32 inches. The other is 35 inches. Ill just have to measure we I get the rear axle back in. In the process of rebuilding it now.

2006 LR3
    1967 109 Station Wagon
    M37B1
    M38A1

Quote Originally Posted by rosims View Post
    I guess I'll explain my situation a little better. I got this truck disassembled and I have 3 driveshafts. I got the front one the other 2 are two different lengths. With the slip yoke closed one is 32 inches. The other is 35 inches. Ill just have to measure we I get the rear axle back in. In the process of rebuilding it now.
    If your '67 109 is a NADA model, it very likely came from the factory with a six cylinder engine. The gearbox and transfercase is shifted rearwards to fit the six cylinder engine and that model has a shorter rear prop shaft.

I'm guessing that you have a four cyl & six cyl rear propshafts and unless someone shifted your gearbox forward the shorter one will fit.

Guess it really don't matter since you have both. Reassemble the truck and use the one that fits.

Hopefully you have a 4 cylinder bellhousing to go with the four cylinder engine. The 4 & 6 take different bellhousings.

It was originally a 2.25 diesel. I went back with a 5 main petrol. I measured for the front shaft and none I have will work. They are all too long. I just ordered a rebuilt one and will wait till I get rear end back in to measure for the rear. I'm sure one of these will work.

2006 LR3
    1967 109 Station Wagon
    M37B1
    M38A1

OK everyone, I need some help here. I am still having some issues. I installed a set of parabolics with the pro comp shocks from our host. The front is completed; yes even the frame bushings, another story. Now to the rear. everything is in, all new hardware shackles, the works. Here's the problem:

With the truck supported by the frame, no weight on the axle, no limit straps, There is 40" between the Diff yoke and the trans yoke. The driveshaft is 41.5" long with slip yoke all the way in. Will not fit. Also the shocks are just about fully compressed, only 3" of travel until they bottom out.

I jacked up the truck and put all the weight on the axle, 41.5 inches between yokes, driveshaft in all good, except that the slip yoke is still all the way compressed? Also the shocks closed up another inch, only 2" of travel. This does not look right to me, or does a 109 S/W only supposed to have 2" of suspension travel?

With the limit straps (39") installed the rear axle will only drop 1inch before the straps hold. Is this normal? I thought the parabolics were supposed to give you more suspension travel? Does this seem like the wrong shocks? The upward travel would bottom out the shocks with only 2 inches.

If I leave off the straps, it will increase travel down, but will smash the driveshaft. I assume this is what the straps were originally for. Does the drive shaft need to be shortened to make this work?

The rear springs are the 3-leaf, if that matters.

2006 LR3
    1967 109 Station Wagon
    M37B1
    M38A1

Here is a picture with the weight on the axle.

2006 LR3
    1967 109 Station Wagon
    M37B1
    M38A1