Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Custom Hand Brushed Aluminum paint job

I think we all just need to agree to disagree on this. No need for any bad blood.

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Actually Eric, I'm taking a position that someone can do what ever they choose to with their truck and that doesn't make them any less of an enthusiast. Maybe they're not a traditionalist, but no less, still an enthusiast. Just because someone doesn't agree with YOU doesn't make their position BS.
    I've respected your opinions and knowledge over the years but lately you seem to think you have the market cornered on what is right and what is not on all things rover.
    Why are you here with us RN idiots anyway?
    Your post is misleading to say the least. Let's set the record straight. I rarely offer a strong personal opinion on this board. Period. Search my posts. Hardly "imposing" or "corning the market" (which is a farily weak anaology for opinons to begin with). I have never, ever said I was the "be all know all" anything and everything rover nor do I imply it. Not here or anywhere else. I have been nothing but amicable here and on the other Series board I frequent.

The real situtation is I called you out to defend your position. You could not so you launch into this weak passive agressive Ad Hom BS of a strawman argument becasue you can't support your own position. Period.

You don't like my posts ignore them and stop whining.

Hey! That's my thread!!

BTW, that's 300 posts for me!

Guys, I'm sorry this thread is going in the wrong direction. Thanks for your honest opinions and by no means do I feel offended by them. I've been a long time forum reader and lurker in the dark and I do respect all your decisions on how this forum takes care of our beloved old Series Rovers.
    I'll keep my future post more conservative and more "Original factory spec" related unless it's intended towards drive train and suspension upgrades, those are never frowned upon on any auto restoration site. I should have started this thread on a younger crowd more custom paint job appeal, tube bending chassis, pirate flag forum had I wanted the "thumbs up," seal of approval.
    I love the original faded patina paint our Series Rovers wear. It adds character to these unique trucks. My LR came with a less expensive Maco white paint job over the original marine blue color. I've tried to just fine wet-sand and try to remove the Maco paint to revile the marine blue color but was unsuccessful. I ended up sanding through all the layers of paint and got down to bare aluminum on too many spots. That's where I'm at today. I like the look of exposed aluminum only by natural weathered wear and don't want to repaint and wait 30 year till I get the look I want. I've even considered finding a solid weathered Series body and using that instead of the one I have. Don't want a completely bare aluminum body as I feel it's to bare. I agree that the two tone paint job with orange pinstripe should be left for the fast and furious neon light vehicles. Thanks to you guys, you have made me snap back to reality and focus on what I really have my heart set on. This sounds like I'm picky or maybe I'm just going through my mid 30's life crisis and can't make up my mind.
    I have an airbrushing background and know how to lay down paint. I will attempt to try and recreate a weathered patina foe finish paint job on a spare Series door I have as that would be more what I'm looking for. If I'm successful at it after a few test panels, I think it would be appreciated by this forum. Chris
    1972 NAS Series 88 SW

Chris,

I think I speak for many here when I say you should feel free to throw ideas/mods out there...otherwise, we wouldnt know about power steering or disc brakes!

I think you'll find that, as a group, we're not all purists (me included). while this thread went a different direction, it did serve a purpose; it "snapped" you back . in all seriousness though, do as you wish!! I thought about bare ask aluminium myself and, in theory, it would be cool.

BTW, I was surprised to find that the age range here seems to skew younger (i'm 31), so no need to look elsewhere for a younger demo. But, pirate4x4 has a series section with some good stuff in it.

In the end, you got what you were looking for (i think), opinions. So by all means, keep posting! If someone doesn't like it, they can ignore it.

Jason
    Last edited by albersj51; 03-25-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Chris, check this thread out: http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/sh...ghlight=patina

And Salem Rover:

You have added nothing to this thread. Yes, it is my opinion. What the hell is your point, other than to get your jollies by cutting and pasting smart ass memes here.
    If that's all you've got then actually you're looking for a board called DiscoWeb.

Otherwise cut the crap and have a big boy conversation.
    '60 SII Station Wagon
    '64 SIIA 109 Regular
    '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon

Big boy conversation huh? My first post in this thread did actually state that these various positions were simply opinions. End of story. Might as well argue who would win in a fight superman or batman. That is my analogy and not a strawman argument, that is really how *I* see it. Stock versus modified as adding or detracting value is subjective and the opinion of each and every one of us. Sorry you did not get that the first time. Citing the meme merely succinctly made my point and apparently that got under your skin. For that I am sorry. I felt a little brevity was needed and apparently it came at your expense. It is time to let this thread go. If you wish to discuss this further I would be glad to via PM's but this is getting a little out of hand and I will not respond to any further posts in this thread.

Sincerely,

Jason

Momo, I remember that thread. That's when I was trying to get the same weathered paint effect by wet-sanding and failed. I have an idea of how to achieve the desired affect and will need to spray some test panels and play with it a little. Gonna try and get my hands on some Bronze Green paint.
    1972 NAS Series 88 SW

Chris, post pics when you do the test panels. Weathered bronze green looks really cool. It really brings out all the rivets and spot welds.
    One of my trucks is bronze green, but it's still very shiny and new. I'm looking forward to the patina 20 years from now!

When you are ready to order the bronze green check out these guys (they're in WI too): http://www.towerpaint.com/
    They can supply in aerosol cans if you like and their paint quality is very good. Make sure to get "deep bronze green"- there's more than one shade but
    only "deep" bronze green was supplied on USA Land Rovers so it's probably the one you know and love.
    Last edited by Momo; 03-26-2011 at 12:08 AM.
    '60 SII Station Wagon
    '64 SIIA 109 Regular
    '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon