Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defender on eBay - ??

Quote Originally Posted by SalemRover View Post
    I love all the off road mods, rocksliders, upgraded diffs, OME springs, winch bumper and winch, etc. etc. *NEVER* Offroaded. Really?!
    I sent a note to the seller on ebay asking "if the price was a typo".

His response was :
    "No it is not a typo. It is a collector's rover with tons of extras...did u read the full list including a custom engine from England...that alone was $16k...in total over $60 k in upgrades......so frankly we are losing on it at $65k. Are u interested?"

...60k in upgrades ?? Someone has a good drug dealer....

$16K engine, really ? and if true, which I doubt, why ?

I'm even more baffled now.
    ---------------------------
    1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
    1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
    1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
    1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
    1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
    2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
    2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Kelly Blue book is around 47k. Why would you swap out an engine at less then 20k miles? There is a completely stock 97 D90 sw w/ auto for sale at a local dealer here. It supposedly has only 32k miles and they are asking 55k. The low miles in both trucks are somewhat suspect, imho.
    94 D-90 tdi
    72 Series III

Quote Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
    Kelly Blue book is around 47k. Why would you swap out an engine at less then 20k miles? There is a completely stock 97 D90 sw w/ auto for sale at a local dealer here. It supposedly has only 32k miles and they are asking 55k. The low miles in both trucks are somewhat suspect, imho.
    I thought the same thing about the engine when I read that again. Could there be a catalyst...like perhaps there was either an accident or engine bay fire, and he over rotated restore supplemented with Insurance $ ? I am thinking if someone was motivated to change out a engine with only 20k mi on it, especially to one like he claims to be so special, it should be because they planned to really use it - which apparently wasn't the case at all for street or off road.

For that 97 you mention, that's kinda even crazier, given everything stock and really no bragging rights... Given what you can get for the $, I think both will sit for a while until sellers get a clue, or some highly uneducated moneybag walks in.
    ---------------------------
    1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
    1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
    1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
    1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
    1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
    2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
    2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
    KBB is as useful as tits on a bullfrog. All NAS '97s were automatic. The 4.0 was fairly anemic, but certainly adequate for the D90. Kids might think differently, and apparantly that guy did. I'd rather stick an RPI into a Classic than a 90, but that's me.

The reason I stated the KBB value is that some people do use it as a guide for pricing, regardless of how relevant it really is.
    The 4.0 may be anemic, but it still seems extreme to swap it out with so little mileage. Just my opinion, but I am somewhat skeptical when it comes to extremely low milage D90s, especially when they have had more than 3 owners and states.
    94 D-90 tdi
    72 Series III