Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily Driver

Default Daily Driver

Hey guys, been on and off here for a little while. Debating on getting my first rover. I am looking at 109. Just curious if these make good daily drivers. I am fairly inclined mechanically, once I get comfortable with it. Any thoughts greatly taken.

They make great Daily Drivers if you are a good daily repairer. Go diesel or V8 if you have any highway to do. Good tires can make up for the leaf springs (dont get 10 plies!).
    67 angry hamsters

No, not a tremendous amount of highway at all. I live in a rural area. I work five minutes from home as well. I am looking for something different, that I can work on, and be fun ( as fun as vehicle can be). Right now I am looking at fj40s, and series rovers, either 109 or 88. I am leaning toward rovers, I like the alloy bodies and simplicity ( or are they not that simple ).

Default They are simple.

If you like old slow noisy trucks it will work out fine if you can fix things yourself. Or have deep pockets. 5 miles is nothing. i drive mine all over when there isn't salt on the roads. They are actually pretty reliable with a little maintenance. I would guess that most people that have a lot of issues with them are one of two things:

-not that great at fixing anything
    -not that great at leaving things alone and hence taking things apart for no reason.

I have been know to be both of those things at times.

Good luck.

Default Rovers vs. Cruisers

I have been a cruiser person in the past and my buddy who is still a cruiser person has been fiddling with my rover for awhile now. He isn't impressed yet but Toyota guys are sort of like that. I was like that too. They are about the same thing to me now.

Thats funny you said that. I agree with leaving things alone when not broke. I am looking at cruisers as well. The issue I am having is pricing. I can get more rover for the same money or slightly more. Also, everyone I see that I like in the condition I am looking for, always has a small block chevy. Rover folks know that what they have is great and leave it alone. The reason I am looking at these, whether it be a 109 or 88, is 1) I can work on it ( or most of of it), 2) they are pretty damn cool 3) I live in a sea town, so the aluminum bodies will hold up ( just worry about the frame). From what I understand, these were designed to be simple to work on in the field, with minimum tools etc..which is right up my alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy5 View Post
    ... just worry about the frame...
    ...and the bulkhead, and the door frames, and the door tops, and the door sideframes (on a 109") ...

Yes, those as well. Just curious, do those rust out fairly fast? And why? Is it the different metals making contact, or moisture entrapment? I am not that familiar with these trucks, but learning quick. Would I be better off starting smaller with an 88? Thank you, been great guys!

Default FJ or Series

I always wanted to own a series Rover or an FJ40 landcruiser and when I finally got down to really looking for one or the other seriously, I started meeting as many people as I could who had one of the old trucks. I went with a 1962 IIA 88' and havent looked back since. If I make millions of dollars by the time I am 30 yrs old or something like that, ill buy an FJ40 but if not I will keep my rover and be happy the rest of my life.

Once I moved to Kentucky I met a guy with a Series IIA, as I got to know him he mentioned that he used to live in Ecuador. While he was there he owned an FJ40 and relied on this truck for everything. When he moved back to the states he immediately started looking for another Landcruiser til he came across a Series Rover. He told me that the FJ might be a little easier to own and drive daily, but he thinks the rover is much cooler and way more fun. I agree completely with him, just something about the rovers.

With the old rovers you get a lot of people telling you how much work they are, and there is work involved but I drive mine every single day to work and twice a month I drive the truck an hour and a half at 60 mph (with od). I have a newer Volvo C70 insured at the moment as well and I never drive that car anymore. My truck has never been too much work to where I did not want to drive it daily is what I am trying to say. I went through the basics like all the braking system and all of the ignition system and have only had trouble with things like bad connections and my own personal shortcomings. I would recommend these trucks as a daily driver for my grandma if I thought she could shift the gears, and encourage anyone who wants to daily drive one to do so. I seemed to have a lot of people who were discouraging when I was looking to buy if I would ask them if they were good daily drivers.

Hope I was helpful and not annoying for the long comment but I really want people to know that the vision surrounding the idea of owning these old trucks isnt more work than its worth.

Not annoying at all. Exactly the feedback i like. Someone who is currently using one everyday. I know that any old truck will need work here and there. I had a 40, and yes it started,ran and drove fine for me. But only after I spent a few bucks and work, as the PO didn't do a thing.I cannot be afraid of things. My question is, if we fix the things that are bad, with new, doesn't that add reliability? If i neglect my newer car, it will eventually neglect me. The only freaky thing for me is the 24v system. But even that can be converted if needed. I am liking this. Another question is , most of the body panels on these riveted? It looks as if they are. Now thats a selling point right there. I started this thread because I found a 69 109 that I am really interested in. I just wanted advice as to whether this may be over my head for a newbie.