Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daily Driver

Since you mentioned 24 Volts, I am assuming that the '69 109 you're looking at is an Ex MOD truck. I have had a couple ExMods, and they are very well built trucks. Mine were 12 Volt General Service trucks, and their electrical systems were robust and generally reliable. ExMod frames were treated with a heavy dose of preservative and are usually found in pretty decent shape. Rear crossmembers can be punky, but not at all difficult to replace. 24 volt Exmod systems can be difficult to trace, as there is alot more to them, but if it's starting and charging OK, drive it as-is till something major goes. The changeover to 12 volt isn't beyond the capability of a guy with fair-to-good skills.
    Many Exmods saw engine replacements, and if you find one with a late, 5 main bearing engine, thats a real plus, but no worries if it's still the old 3 main 2.25.
    Without an overdrive, they really are a 50mph tops truck. Some chassis were set up for ambulance bodies, with front anti sway bars. They make them pretty stiff, but removeing the front sway bar is nothing. They will carry a LOT of load. I used one for a sap gathering truck one maple season, and it barely noticed the 1500 pounds if the tank was full. They almost always have a lot of extra holes in the tinwork for antenna mounts etc. I sold my last 3 door exMOD to a friend who commutes 30-40 miles each way every day, and judging by his usual grin, I'd say he's still loving it.

Talking

Thank you Terrys. I was giving the wrong information, I was looking at another truck as well. The one I am seriously looking at is civilian, 12 volt. I meant to say the positive earth ( ground) system. I know that along the way, they were converted to 12v, but I am not sure when. If you are curious, it is on ebay right now. Blue, and i emailed the seller, and all seems pretty good. One outrigger he said will need attention, but not right away, some corrosion in front of the passenger door between the fender and door ( looks like a filler panel, right hand drive), hes asking 13k. I really am into it, just nervous ( as usual).