Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US Customs seizing ROW defenders?

Quote Originally Posted by Terrys View Post
    Nope, not mine, unfortunately, but I have laid eyeballs on it and I can say with some degree of knowledge, that it is not a RHD conversion. At one point, seems to me about 2 years ago, this same truck was sold on ebay, and at that time the seller posted all his documentation. I have my own '93 110 and don't have any horse in this race.

Yes, the 1993 is listed as an 'eligible' vehicle, but what the regs don't specifically say is that because it not on the list does not mean it can not be imported, by an RI, and made to comply.
    I have had these conversations with Customs, in person, on many occassions, having had our own customs broker on staff, and having imported over $50M in 'arms' from the UK. While these imports didn't involve NHTSA, enough insight was shed by Customs ti know anything is possible if you're willing to pay for it. If nothing more, I learned that what IS published is not the ONLY story. You can debate your own interpretation as much as you would like, but the facts remain, albeit in hiding, for those willing to spend the time, and silly dollars to find them.
    Very good insight. Sounds like you know the ropes, so I won't question your assertion.
    I guess when something so rare and spectacular is listed on fleabay with very little descriptive effort, many red flags go off. Sort of like sombody listing a 250 GTO on eBay with three pictures and no provenance.
    Who knows, maybe it's legit. Hope somebody here buys it and fills us in on the details if it is indeed legal.

....and I also agree with your comments regarding "interpretation" if laws weren't meant to be "interpreted" (ahem, bent), the good Lord would not have invented lawyers.

That's it if nobody chimes in with a story about the Feds seizing soemthing and crushing it, I'm shipping a container of Puma parts over with a separate crate labeled "generator engine" containing a TD5 and starting my dream Rover titled as a 1961 S2 88" and seeing if that flies!

j/k, I'm importing a legit 25yo nice 110 CSW and gonna play by the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    That's it if nobody chimes in with a story about the Feds seizing soemthing and crushing it, I'm shipping a container of Puma parts over with a separate crate labeled "generator engine" containing a TD5 and starting my dream Rover titled as a 1961 S2 88" and seeing if that flies!

A Puma does not have a TD5. The TD5 was produced 1998-2007 with an update in 2002. A Puma was built 2007 on and has a Ford 2.4TDci engine.

The TD5 is quite a nice engine if the well known issues are addressed. The Ford is a POS.

There was a genuine Tomb Raider impounded down in FL a few years ago. It sat behind an ICE office for months. Maybe JC will chime in and let us know what became of it. There were so many people watching it, I sincerely doubt it saw the crusher. In fact, I have not heard of anything being crushed in years. I'm begining to think that's just an urban legend.
    There are so many new (<25 yo anyway) Nissans and other rice burners coming in, a few Land Rovers should be so surprising.

ANY import that is bonded and released has the proper EPA and DOT exemption documents. Count on it. Those two documents, the customs 7501, and the foreign registration and bill of sale are "surrendered" to the DMV in most states for a title. I always get the client two sets of originals so that there is still a set of originals to pass on to future owners.
    A vehicle is only subject to destruction if upon denial of entry/and seizure the importer/owner doesn't fight/petition to have the truck enter. In this instance Customs will usually asses a fine and allow/require the vehicle to be exported.
    I know the 99 td5 on ebay, know who imported it, and how, and wish I could replicate it myself. That said, I won't ruin that individuals ability to do it again by discussing it here. Suffice it to say if I can't do it, nor can you.
    Last edited by Maryland 110; 05-11-2011 at 04:50 PM.
    DividingCreekImports.com
    Tdi 130 Crew Cab x2
    110 V8 5 door

Here in Quebec the government decided one day that no more RHDs would pass inspection because of all the 17 year olds in JDMs killing themselves. if you have an RHD it will only pass inspection if you have proof it was imported before a certain date (2009 I believe). Constant police harrassment (getting pulled over 3 times a week) have made RHDs a PITA. It was no big deal when there were a few dozen a year coming over, but near the end there were hundreds per month being imported. Same thing is now happening with Defenders now that there are tonnes of 25 year old trucks on the market.
    67 angry hamsters

Galloway British Columbia Canada and Jefferson City Missouri

The nice thing here in Canada is the only need to be 15 yrs old to import so we get first dibs on you poor yanks....now I just need to find a good 15 yr old truck in England and ship her over....
    1968 Series IIA
    1987 D90 Kid's project
    German wirehair Pointer (Wood Hound)

Quote Originally Posted by RoverDover View Post
    Here in Quebec the government decided one day that no more RHDs would pass inspection...
    So these RHD's should be worth way less now, eh?
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Quote Originally Posted by luckyjoe View Post
    So these RHD's should be worth way less now, eh?
    No, they just get sold elsewhere in Canada.
    67 angry hamsters

Quote Originally Posted by RoverDover View Post
    Here in Quebec the government decided one day that no more RHDs would pass inspection because of all the 17 year olds in JDMs killing themselves. if you have an RHD it will only pass inspection if you have proof it was imported before a certain date (2009 I believe). Constant police harrassment (getting pulled over 3 times a week) have made RHDs a PITA. It was no big deal when there were a few dozen a year coming over, but near the end there were hundreds per month being imported. Same thing is now happening with Defenders now that there are tonnes of 25 year old trucks on the market.

I think they only made restrictions for those little 660cc Suzuki's, Diathsu, subaru, toyote etc... 4x4. I think they can't import them no more but the owner that has one can still plate them with the "C" labelled plate. C for collector vehicule that has road restrictions. I think they're not allowed on road that has a higher speed limit than 70 or 90 km/h.

There's some rhd drive car rolling in town with normal plate. Only the 660"s had restrictions so far.

Any RHDs rolling in the province of Quebec were imported before the new law took effect. Make sure you have all of the import paperwork for such a vehicule as it cannot pass inspection without it. I paid about 2 grand more than what I should have for my 90 because it is a LHD with an LHD VIN plate and matching numbers on the chassis and VIN plate. The coppers can look all they want, Everything on my truck is on the level.
    67 angry hamsters