Thread: 90 rear seats

Default 90 rear seats

Hi everyone,

Thinking about putting in 2 side facing rear seats in the back of the 90. Anyone know what the US laws are on seat belts for them. I've heard you're safer without a lap belt than with one. But any specific laws...?

Also lets say I do crash and someone gets hurt back there, would it be safer for me to get it done by he local shop so I can't get in a big law suit about me not doing something right on the installation?

Thanks in advance

Looks like nobody wants to touch the question. My 90 has rear facing factory seating with belts. It was ok for the laws in 1997. My kids love to face each and chit chat. Good luck
    D110double/cab/truck

Baby seats for infants are rear facing for a reason. I would rather be in a rear facing seat than a side facing seat. I have looked at side jump and bench seats for my 90, but found them extremely uncomfortable for adults on long drives. I plan on using a rear bench seat from a CJ7 or a YJ because the lap belts are attached to the seat base. This way I only have to attach the seat base to the chassis and the seat belts are already taken care of.
    67 angry hamsters

Not really worrying about the baby seat deal, I'm 20 so I don't plan on having kids for a while, I hope...

Yea I like that idea of the jeep bench seat, but I feel like I'd loose a lot of cargo room. I'll have to check with the local cops to see if they know of any issues with the side facing seats with lap belts.

thanks for knowledge

I just picked up my YJ rear bench seat today for 50 bucks (it fits perfectly between the wheel wells). I have some old lap belts from the rear jump seats of a ford ranger. It will totally screw with my cargo space, but at least 2 adults can sit comfortably in the back and not smack their heads on the roof.
    67 angry hamsters

An older jeep seat will fold and tumble - this is a good comprimise to not loose cargo room when you are not carrying people.
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)