Thread: 109 spare loc, brakes

Default 109 spare loc, brakes

Did rover make a spare carrier for a 109 on the sides of the tub just behind drivers seat. Think it would require a well.

I was doing some fluid checks and noticed that there is not a bleeder on the top front wheel cylinders. What would the proceedure be to bleed these cylinders.
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

my shop manual shows that some of the rovers did have a place to mount the tire there, it had a wheel well and a bracket that mounted to the top of the tub to hold the wheel upright, mine originally had one but the previous owner took it all off and put a patch over the wheel well
    1964 Series IIa 109" Pick-Up RHD
    1965 Series IIa 88" Wagon LHD
    1968 Series IIa 109" Station Wagon LHD

y shop manual shows that some of the rovers did have a place to mount the tire there, it had a wheel well and a bracket that mounted to the top of the tub to hold the wheel upright, mine originally had one but the previous owner took it all off and put a patch over the wheel well
    This was standard equipment for 109 Regular models. (The mount on the left is complete, while on the right I just happened to have an extra well that just sits in the hole, I've never rivetted it down in 15 years.)
    '60 SII Station Wagon
    '64 SIIA 109 Regular
    '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon

On the 109 with 11" brakes there are two cylinders on each wheel, the brake bleeder is at the bottom of the wheel.

Rick
    73 xMOD S3 109
    52 M37

I see that bottom cyl is only one w/ a bleeder. Doesn't this make it difficult to get the air out of the top cyl?
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

ANyone know where one of these spare setups could be found?
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Quote Originally Posted by siii8873 View Post
    I see that bottom cyl is only one w/ a bleeder. Doesn't this make it difficult to get the air out of the top cyl?
    Yes, it can make bleeding them a PITA. I have even seen people state that you can't get the 11" brakes to bleed and you will have to live with 2-pump brakes.

With that said, I had no problem at all bleeding mine. However, I realized what I was up against and I bled the front brakes before I installed the backing plates. I layed the backing plates on a block with the bottom cylinder slightly higher that the top one. I then bled the brakes using a Motive power bleeder combined with the pedal-pump method. I have found that vacuum bleeders & pressure bleeders aren't all that great for getting air out - they just don't move enough fluid through the system quick enough to dislodge & carry out air pockets & bubbles. The best method I have found for initial bleeding is to use the Motive power bleeder to keep the reservoir topped off and just pump the heck out of the pedal.