Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitting IIA 88 Tub

Default Fitting IIA 88 Tub

I fit the tub on my 88 (on galvy frame) to check on it's fit relative to bulkhead, and hit a snag.

First, the holes for the tub don't match up with the Marsland chassis attachment points. They are outboard of the chassis tabs by a good few inches. Have others run into this? I suppose that's what a drill is for.

Second, are the extra brackets in the second shot below, an additional attachment point for Series III's that aren't found in IIA's or something? There is no attachment point for my tub and they sit too low anyhow.

Thanks.
    1970 88 IIA

Those inner brakets are for seat belt anchors.I'm not sure what is happening with those outter attachment points.I'm heading up to the shop now ,I'll look at mine .I'll report back if someone doesn't chime in before.I assume the rears are lined up?
    Sean
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

1963 88'' IIa daily driver
    1970 88"
    1971 88"
    authenticstoneworks.com

Marsland chassis are set up for the S3 front tab location, not S2A, so, yes, you have to drill new holes. Before you do, get the front of the tub at the proper height for door/tub, and door/bulkhead alignment. Cut some shims with a taper and keep tapping them in till you have a good straight shot from the curve of the bulkhead, door and tub.

Thanks for the info guys. I will definitely take my time before drilling. Sean, are you sure those inner brackets are for seatbelt attachment points? Wish I had pics of my original set up.

As an aside, I gotta say, for the money, the brackets should line up (or this should be sold as a III frame only, not marketed interchangeably as a IIA and III).

I'll survive....somehow.
    1970 88 IIA

Well ,as you can see I've been wrong before So am I positive no,but a good friend and a person who I think is in the know had me cut and weld them on my IIa frame before I had it galvied so I had an option to add seats with a hard point anchor in the future ,as per later models (?).I took the measurements off a newly purchased galvy frame. From what I understand there is a L shaped braket that attaches to those and then through the seat base. I'm sure I will be set straight if I'm misleading you
    Sean

1970 88"
    1971 88"
    authenticstoneworks.com

your probably right. just having a hard time imagining it.

then again, growing up when i did, seat belts were optional. just as likely to be lying on a mattress in the back as buckled in!
    1970 88 IIA

Quote Originally Posted by JackIIA View Post
    your probably right. just having a hard time imagining it.

then again, growing up when i did, seat belts were optional. just as likely to be lying on a mattress in the back as buckled in!
    Many a camping trip ,four kids bouncing around in the back of a volkswagon van ,cross counrty and back.Seatbelts, they were in the way ,we tucked them down in the seats .Parents would be brought up on child endangerment charges now days with what my folks did
    Sean

1970 88"
    1971 88"
    authenticstoneworks.com

Default gas tank gasket and seal

Jack, did you install the gas tank before putting on the tub? If so did you replace the following?

Foam Seal - Fuel Filler Tube - Genuine Ref: 504233 /
    Gasket - Fuel Fill Tube - Genuine
    Ref: 504673

I can't remember if they go between the tank and the tub, or on the tank after the tub is mounted. Does anyone know and does it matter if you use them or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain132 View Post
    Jack, did you install the gas tank before putting on the tub? If so did you replace the following?

Foam Seal - Fuel Filler Tube - Genuine Ref: 504233 /
    Gasket - Fuel Fill Tube - Genuine
    Ref: 504673

I can't remember if they go between the tank and the tub, or on the tank after the tub is mounted. Does anyone know and does it matter if you use them or not?
    On mine (no idea if this is correct, the seal went on the tank, then the foam and then the tub over it all.

Classic memories! Sounds like our parents would be sharing adjoining rooms in cellblock 6.

Mountain - I didn't fit the gasket or foam, this is just a dry run b/c of a bulkhead fit issue. But if I remember correctly, the gasket first, then the foam before the tank would be fitted. At least, when I pulled everything before, that stuff remained 'fitted' until I dissassembled the tank, so I'd assume the reverse would be true.

I don't really know the point of that foam, except to reduce the risk of abrasion possibly against higher points in the truck?

I just bought it b/c it's cheap and figured it must have some purpose.

Reminds me of the urban legend of the Russians reverse engineering a F-15 photo montage for their new MIG. They put a tailhook on their MIG because photos showed it on the F-15. But the F-15 was obviously carrier based. The MIG wasn't of course. I guess I'm Russian when it comes to thinking this through.
    1970 88 IIA