Thread: Red/Yellow Wiring

Default Red/Yellow Wiring

My wiring harness (SIII) has the Red/Yellow wires indicated for Front and Rear Fog Lamps. Now this has me asking four questions....

1.) From looking at the wiring diagram that our host provides: It appears that the Rear Fog lamps run into the rear fog lamp switch and warning light and pull power from a junction made off of the headlamps. Right? (this makes sense to do with the front lamps).

2. )How are we doing the rear lamps? The diagram just going to a Fog lamp change over relay. Its leaving me wanting for more....

3.) Is it easier just to find a hot and a ground and forget this Red/Yellow wiring? What's the easiest way?

4.) Where the heck did the fog lamps mount on the rear & front from the factory? Not that I will end up doing it this way...But just wondering.

Thanks all.
    -Clint

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Im not sure but my understanding of the rear fog lamp from Land Rover is what we call here reverse warning light...On mine they are fed by green/red or green/brown wire that connect to the switch at the bottom of the gearshift lever....

But I can be wrong...

You are correct. What you are talking about is the reverse lights. Now, they might be sharing the same lamp unit...but there are different wires back there (notice 72-75). I have a british wiring harness from Auto Sparks and they have included a lot of "extras" that the NAS did not have.

For example: There is also pink wiring running to the rear that is specifically for auxiliary items.

Here is a list that has these "extra" items listed.

Last edited by crankin; 05-31-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Hummm I don't have those 74-75 on my harness....

Rear fog lights are not the same thing as reverse lights or reverse warning lights. Rear fog lights are red and their purpose is to let other cars see you in dense fog/rain/snow conditions. They are called rear guard lights on the military models.

The rear fog lights are only supposed to be able to be switched on when the low beam headlights are on. That's why they use the relay and power comes from the low beam circuit. I suggest wiring it the way it is supposed to be so that you don't end up driving around with the rear fog lights on by mistake.

The rear fog lights were mounted at the rear usually inboard of the stop/tail lights.

I think the late English vehicles were required to have rear fog lamps. My '80 SIII 109 had them, red rectangular surface mounted lamps identical to the clear backup lamps available from our host. My truck had a seperate red/yellow trace wire run with the harness to the lamps on the rear panels. It was actuated by a switch on the center aux switch panel and had a red warning lamp.

The rear fogs on our Discoveries work great as brake lights when others are following too close at night......

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by jac04 View Post
    The rear fog lights were mounted at the rear usually inboard of the stop/tail lights.
    The trucks that came with rear fog lamps (rectangular red lamps) came with one light mounted on the drivers side so that it is on the side of the truck closest to the road centre line and directly in front of the driver behind you.

When I lived in a place with frequent fog I installed one on my truck along with an instrument panel warning lamp. Since I've moved, it has become my warning light during snowfalls instead of fog.

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
    The trucks that came with rear fog lamps (rectangular red lamps) came with one light mounted on the drivers side so that it is on the side of the truck closest to the road centre line and directly in front of the driver behind you.
    Except for the trucks that came with two rear fog lights (round red lamps on military vehicles).