Thread: Alternator Question 200tdi

Default Alternator Question 200tdi

I have a 85 Defender 110 with a 200tdi. My alt is not keeping up with the demands of electrical sys and is not charging the battery at present.
    I have the standard 65 amp alternator. I am pursuing 2 options,
    rebuild the existing alternator - new brushes, etc should give it a new lease on life. OR

Replace with new one. Here is where the expertise of the masses is desired.

If I replace, should I keep to original 65 amp or can I move up to a 100 amp with little other modification. As an 85, there is no "complex electronics" so the question reallly is, can I (should I) and does the 100amp have the same bolt on as the 65 amp.

I am geographically separated from my truck, but am making plans to take care of this problem as soon as I redeploy.

Appreciate any insights, experience, advice.

sf
    Mark

US Marine
    1985 Defender 100 ROW, 200 tdi
    2004 BMW R1150 GS Adventure
    Last edited by markhollahan; 06-03-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Unless you have some extraordinary collection of electronic add ons in the truck, the 65 amp unit should be fine. They are readily available and the same unit as early Range Rovers.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

I only have a couple sets of lights. THanks much.

Default Rebuild or replace

So far, it would seem the retaining the 65 amp is sufficient.

I have never rebuilt an alternator before. Any past experiences that would shape an opinion would be greatly appreciated. On the surface, it would appear to be more economical, but I don't know what I don't know.

Just take it to a local auto electric shop and have them do it, it will be cheap and done right. They have the testing equipment and will hand it back to you looking brand new. Get YOUR alternator back, not an exchange core.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

The early RRC alternator (STC1753 ) will fit and is 85 amp.There is also a 100 amp version for the Defender that will work. They are both around $350 I think.
    Matt Browne
    www.overlandengineering.com
    "resurecting junk through engineering"

I bought a rebuild alternator from a car electric shop downtown. It's out of a tractor, it's a 100amps and at 100$ it's cheap. I had to shave off some thickness on the bracket and it went right in. As I use a webasto pre-heater and a cab heater, a twin battery set up (National Luna) and a bigger alternator was more then welcome. Even with all this, I will have to hook on a battery charger. The alternator even as big as 100amps is not intended to charge battery but to top up the battery and provide the electricity for the car as it's in use.
    Younger, we pointed the guy I now became.

this previous post might be helpful: http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/sh...7561#post67561
    '83 110 - 2.25 NA Diesel
    '95 Classic LWB - 4.2L (flattened by a runaway dumpster in Manhattan)
    '95 FHL
    '68 Polara 4D HT
    '62 356B Coupe (sold!-keep asking myself why?)