Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Series IIA Ignition Cut out?

FWIW I had an issue with my origional Rover where the ignition would cut out because I has too many keys on the key ring I was using, When you hit a bump the keys would swing from side to side shutting off the ignition. Have you tried using a single ignition key and see if it still does it?
    Jim

I had an intermittent ignition cutout recently on my '71 IIA. It turned out to be the way the heater control cable was routed around the coil. Over time the cable moved and ended up shorting out the low tension terminal of the coil. After standing at the side of the road with a bit of head scratching and a mild electric shock I figured it out. It was nice that the fix was really easy but I did feel like a bit of an idiot at the time. The heater cable is now sleeved in that area.

Sometimes the answer is simple and, while I agree with the others that the most likely culprit is the ignition switch, it also pays to look at what is around your coil connections for anything that they could short to and alsp have a good look for areas that the leads could be rubbing.

Cheers
    Gregor

Yeah, I suspected that so I dorve around with the heater control cable unplugged and sure enough the problem was still there. I even replaced
    the connections etc...I'm starting to suspect an stckiy valve at this point.
    It never hurts to do a valve adjustment anyway.

thanks for the response.