Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 109 tires and Michelin

Traxxus on my d90 were great just like the BFG MT the first 20k but then they get really loud. I got them when they first came out for 99 bucks free shipping, think I would go MT again... or Trac Edge if it was made again.
    1967 MGB convertible
    1966 SIIa 88 Softop Perkins Prima Powered
    1964 SIIa 109 Rosenbauer TLF
    1976 1ton Rapier missle Sankey trailer
    1996 BMW 1100 GS

wanted ! 107 wagon / 110 wagon v8 or 300tdi

I am looking for a tire with a "street" center rib and a very aggressive side wall/tread edge to keep it (somewhat) quiet on the road when aired-up, and then I can air down and make use of the side of the tread and side walls in the nasty stuff.

Something like the old Avon tires used on the series trucks in the sixties. Those made sense for a Land-Rover, as they often served dual duty as mine does now.

I'll drive 4-8 thousand miles (or more) on a single expedition, and most of it is on road of some kind (some better than others). I need a TRUE dual-purpose tire, which I think may not exist, so the chain idea reamins...

Still searching!
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

To burden you with further questions, my 109 3 door has Firestones that were put on it in Europe and they have tubes. Is it best to run tubes? Can all tires run tubes? If not, can the Michelin Xs run tubes? Advantages of tubes?

Most of the Michelin tires require tubes.

You can run tubeless tires with tubes, and you obviously need tubes for tube tires.

The rims are different, with tubeless rims having a safety bead to lock the tire on the rim. This is important if you run low pressures, as we often do off-road, to keep the tire on the rim, although I have been quite lucky in not loosing a bead while off-road. They come off easier, but also seat easier as well. I use a cargo strap to crush the tread area and help set the bead as air is installed...

I happen to run tube rims with tubeless ties (and no tube installed), for many reasons.

1) Tube rims are easy to break down in the field. The same reason for the tubeless safety bead is reason for added difficulty in dismounting a tire in the field. This can save considerable weight, particularly on an 88 or 90, where space and weight carrying capacity are paramount. I carried a second un-mounted tire, knowing I could mount it myself if I shredded a tire. This saved the weight of a sixth rim in my over-packed 88.

2) Tubes require the dismounting of the tire to repair the tube. Tubeless tires often can be fixed on the rim (I have even done a plug on the truck, without letting the rest of the air out!). No jack needed...

3) Tube rims are easy to get for Land-Rovers. My 1995-spec 110 has tube rims as standard. Also, the cast aluminum "on-road" wheels love to crack and break off-road, whereas steel wheels can be fixed with good old-fashioned brute force. Basically, if your life depends on your truck getting you home, you'd better be able to repair it with a hammer...

4) If your tubeless tire gets REALLY messed up, you CAN run a tube in it. These tend to run hot, and should be avoided, but a generous application of baby powder helps.

So, I run with six mounted and balanced tires (which I rotate on the truck for even wear and maximum mileage) and I carry a tube or two in my gear along with a Safety-Seal plug kit in case two spares just isn't enough. I also have a set of Australian made Tyre-Pliers, which work great! Don't forget to practice with them before you pack them away and forget about them...
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

Lot of food for thought. If I cannot find a second hand set of Michelin X series think I will go for Cooper Courser 7.50x16. Anyone have any experience with the Courser tire?

Lot of food for thought. If I cannot find a second hand set of Michelin X series think I will go for Cooper Courser 7.50x16. Anyone have any experience with the Courser tire?

Default Tread patterns....

Please correct me if you believe I am wrong....

This I believe is the original Michelin X pattern as on early 90's 110's.... and I also think very similar to truck tire treads.... might even be a truck tire R20 or something like that.

I believe XL, but very close to XCL....

XZL, also make sure if you spent the big bucks for these you know if they are new or retreads I have seen some scarry things happen with retreads @ speed, but fine for offroading only.

XL I believe...

XS but then Sand will be hard to find around here
    1967 MGB convertible
    1996 BMW 1100 GS

Fruity, I think you're on the mark...

I *believe* the XL is the larger commercial version of the XCL (more for equipment than normal passenger vehicles).

XZL's can be run w/o tubes. My tread looks nothing like the one that you've posted:
    I'll find a pic...

The old TracEdge was a great tire. IMHO, the best, closest thing to it available right now would be the Dunlop Rover R/T. I'd highly suggest giving the R/T at least some degree of consideration, FWIW...
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

For some reason it sticks in my mind that they changed the pattern from the original XZL's to the O/R version, at some point the XCL also was out of production. Or may be I am remembering the 9.00's on the 101's.

I still can't figure out what BFG was smoking when they stopped the Trac Edge, I guess volume was too low. Most Posers were buying MT's the daily drivers the AT's and the handful globetrotters the Trac Edges....

Last edited by fruitpunch; 04-18-2007 at 11:51 PM.
    1967 MGB convertible
    1996 BMW 1100 GS