Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pertronix Trouble

It is an improvement over poorly adjusted points, but equal to properly adjusted points.

The problem is, it cannot be relied upon!

I also have the Ducelier distributor...
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

I agree how many petronix would you want to take on a trip to Africa ? I think none, bring points they are much easier and you might even find a spare set of points somewhere. I think our host used to sell them ?.... and stopped for obvious reasons....
    1967 MGB convertible
    1966 SIIa 88 Softop Perkins Prima Powered
    1964 SIIa 109 Rosenbauer TLF
    1976 1ton Rapier missle Sankey trailer
    1996 BMW 1100 GS

wanted ! 107 wagon / 110 wagon v8 or 300tdi

I have run Pertronix on my Duciller for the past 3 years with out a hitch. Had it installed when in Zimbabwe and had it in ever since. I still keep a set of points around though just in case.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Pertronix have been in my Series III since 2000 with no issues. I do carry a spare set of points and plate, but so far hasn't been needed. I'd say they are a vast improvement, if not in performance at least in time saved not adjusting points in 7 years ......

Default dwell

Jim,
    There is one improvement over the point system besides less maintenance. That is that the Pertronix (and other electronic units) are able to keep dwell time higher at high RPM. This keeps a strong spark when at high revs, something a single point system struggles with. Of course, its not that useful in a rover.

Default Crane ignition

I installed a Crane Cams XR700 electronic ignition in 1991 in my Series 3 and have not had any trouble since. I have put about 140,000 miles on it since then.

I've got a Newtronics system on my SIIa with Ducellier since 2001 and also my 101. I use my IIA as a daily driver round town, on the freeway and off road and have put approx. 150K on the thing without ever having had a problem in the haet and dust of the southwest. The Newtronics uses an optical pickup and slotted disc arrangement with a separate control box mounted on the bulkhead which keeps the electronics cool.

Electronic sytems tend to have high infant mortality due to manufacturing issues but once installed and working are unlikely to fail. Compared to the cost of an expedition what is the cost of a spare pertronix? The size and weight are no more than a spare set of points. Look at how many posts there are regarding ignition issues related to points compared to electronic ignition.

For the sake of elminating wear components and thus giving a more regular and controlled spark I am a huge fan of the electronic ignition.

Face it people, if you look at all the working vehicles in the areas where you go on expeditions I will guarrantee most of them now run electronics for engine management or, of course, are diesel which is another can of worms.

Flame suit on.
    Gregor