Thread: Waxoyl por-15 or Paint

Default Waxoyl por-15 or Paint

Hello again, since you guys really helped me alot through my electrical issue, I thought I would run some options by you. My 2a is virtually rust free, and I would like to keep it that way. I live in the North East so we use salt on the roads, and I have salt air. So, I am debating on the coating options. Waxoyl: I have never used this stuff. My thoughts are using this for the bulhead, doors, all the little nooks around the body as this comes in an aerosol can. But I see two different products, which is the right one to use? The frame: Here I have a big debate. Do I use the waxoyl in the inside of the frame ( through the drains to coat inside), and then either clean and use chassis black paint on the outside, or do I waxoyl the whole frame, or use por 15? What i dont want is globs of goop covering the details of the frame( I am a painter by trade) If the body was off, I know exactly what I would use but since its not, I am woking around it. Any thoughts?
    1969 Series 2a Bugeye

If the body was off......
    What would you use?

I'm going to use por15 on frame and bulkhead, and likely waxoyl inside frame
    Last edited by kwd509; 08-07-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Word omitted

If the body was off, I would strip it down to bare metal. Then I would use products from Alexseal. This is a marine paint made by Mankiewicz. It is made in Germany. I use this all the time when I am painting boats. Cor Spec metal primer first ( contains chromate not zinc chromate but another version). Then I would chassis black. I am going to use this on the underside tub, wheel openings. I have used this on masts and see no signs of degradation yet after years of harsh salt water environments. But since the body is on, i have to work around it. So I do believe my program is this: Cor Spec the underside and wheel wells, the bulkhead with a touch up gun. Aerosol Waxoyl the inside of the frame, doors and nooks around bulkhead. Then por 15 frame.
    1969 Series 2a Bugeye

If the body is on then I would use Waxoyl. The stuff can be sprayed over anything and will form a relatively impervious layer against most damaging chemicals and oxidisation. A water blast if you have mud or other grime will help but is not really necessary.

The downside is it likes to burn when you have to use a gas torch or welder.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit