Thread: The Three Amigos are Gone!!!!

Default The Three Amigos are Gone!!!!

Dealer replaced my ABS modulator and the three amigos are gone! Trouble is they won't give me the codes because I did not have to pay for the repair.

You fell vitim of "the three amigos" too hah? This is a Land Rover problem that should have been a recall and is costing consumers like you and I tons of $$! The dealers are quick to cash in too!! They can smell you coming a mile away! Since I know one or two things about cars and had done my research, when i got to the dealer they wanted to replace all sorts of things on my wheel hub at a cost of over $800!! I pleaded with the mechanic and actually when out to the service bay [not a good idea!] and told him that he only needed to replace the ABS sensor wire - he did, but he did not guaranteed that it would work. To my relief it worked, but they still charged me $280 - 95% labor. The part was only a few bucks.

For all those with the "three amigos" be aware!!!

I might be being thick here, but what are the three amigo's?? No smart answers please>

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

You set yourself up for this one! [sorry, couldn't resist...]

The "Three Amigos" is a short description for a symptom of driving along and all of a sudden the ABS will activate and three dash warning lights come on; Hill Decent Control, Electronic Traction Control, and Anti-Lock Braking System (HDC/ETC/ABS). Usually the problem may be with a sticking shuttle valve within the ABS unit, or ABS wire (as mentioned above). Any visit to the LR Dealer (will bring monetary pain) and either they will try to fix the problem (shuttle valve, wires, etc) or replace the modulator and throw new parts at it until it fixes itself.
    Last edited by TSR53; 06-14-2007 at 08:18 AM.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Here is a YouTube of what the problem is.
    Last edited by TSR53; 03-11-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

asked for that didn't I. thanks for the reply.
    all the best

Angry

Hey i've had problems with the 3 amigos as well!

Took it to a repair shop..he said there is both an ABS sensor fault and shuttle valve switch fault..

He said he repaired the wire of the sensor and charged me 40 $ and that if the 3 amigos light up again i will have to replace my ABS modulator!

He found a used modulator for me at 400 $ (excluding repair cost)..

Do you think the diagnostic was correct and am i getting a fair deal?

Exclamation

The best way of avoiding the 3 amigos is to use the HDC every once in a while so that the valves get "exercised".

Find a steep driveway somewhere and put the vehicle into low range and 1st gear, and turn on HDC so that it activates the ABS modulator and gets it "working".

Most vehicles suffer from the shuttle valve jamming on the ABS modulator simply from lack of use.

Will this still be the same with a disco I with ABS, Service Engine, and Anitlock lights on?

The 3 amigos problem can come from the modulator, or the wheel sensors. When it's coming form the modulator, it is usually brake fluid seeping past the o-rings that are inside the ABS modulator and that are preventing the valve switches from getting contaminated. Once they are contaminated you get the 3 amigos. You can either replace the modulator with a new one, or a used one that will eventually present the same problem, or buy a kit to replace the switches and o-rings. Once you have the modulator apart, it's a good idea to bypass a connector that is inside and subject to the same contamination, by a two pole universal connector.

Those repairs, in the Discovery circles in various forums are known as the A fix and the B fix. Google A B fix 3 amigos, and you'll find how to definitely get rid of that problem, for around a hundred dollar if memory serves. In my humble opinion, I doubt that "exercising" the shutle valves in the case of the Disco 2 modulator will make a difference because when I took mine apart the brake fluid was clear and there were not visible traces of varnish or some sort of dirt that could prevent the modulator from working correctly. But I am not a mechanic, just a hobbyist.
    Georges Payne
    2003 Disco II SE-7