Thread: Looking for Boston (and coasta northernlyl) trip suggestions

Default Looking for Boston (and coasta northernlyl) trip suggestions

West coaster here, heading to Boston in a week for some vacation with the wife. We have never spent time on the east coast, and would love to get input from the forum. We're both auto buffs, and enjoy nature, hikes, off the beaten path fun stuff.

What do you suggest?

(edit, dang...no title edits!)
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

Well, there is no lack of sights to see in Boston. If you enjoy history I would start with The Constitution our Navy's oldest serving ship. It is in Charlestown which is connected to Boston and there is a terrific restaurant in the Navy Yard called (appropriatley) Navy Yard Bistro. They only serve dinner but the food is great and it has a charming atmosphere. Within walking distance is The Warren Tavern, one of the oldest taverns in America, George Washignton stayed there during the Revolution.

There is an interesting and active auto museum in Brookline in the carriage house of a former palatial estate called "Weld" the Larz Andersen Estate here is a link to their events http://www.larzanderson.org/Topics/T...=Lawn%20Events

Boston has a lot of great restaurants and the North End is a great place to walk around, over 100 restaurants in a 5 sq block area, this is Bostons Little Italy. The Union Oyster House is a tourist trap but if you can geta seat at the "U" shaped bar it is a blast to have the oldtimers shuck up some oysters and wash them down with some Harpoon IPA, made in Boston. Sam Adams beer contrary to popular myth has not been made in Boston for years with the exception of a small brewery open for tours.

As far as Hiking you could rent a car and go to Walden Woods in Concord (25 mins outside of city) and walk through the woods that inspired Thoreau http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/walden/ it is about 2600 acres and very pretty. Bring a copy of Life in the Woods, no greater place to read from it.

Castle Hill on the North Shore are among the prettiest places you could visit http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to...the-crane.html then crusie to Salem and have some lunch at The Lyceum and walk around a bit and learn about the Witch trials etc.

Lots of good stuff to do in the Boston area, hope this helps a bit.
    Mark
    Best,
    Mark

Hit I95, go 3 hours North. Plenty to see in Maine.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Not uniquely Boston or East Coast - but I went whale watching once while I was in Boston. I thought that was neat.
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

There's the Freedom trail, Lexington and Concord historic sites. As a kid, my dad would take me and my brothers to the north bridge boat house and canoe up the old north bridge, visit some of the revolutionary war sites. A couple hours north to the White mountains, coast of Maine. South to Plymouth and the Cape. North to Salem and Gloucester. Catch the ferry to block island....It's all relatively close.

Quote Originally Posted by msggunny View Post
    Hit I95, go 3 hours North. Plenty to see in Maine.
    We'll have a rental car and will hit Maine for sure. Great tips thus far, thanks!
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

Well, we landed, and are planning our outings here in Boston for the next few days.

If anyone has a brake pedal assembly for a SII and your in the vicinity, I am looking for one.
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

What did you end up doing on your trip? Hope you enjoyed it
    Best,
    Mark