Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.5 na 110 starting issues

Default 2.5 na 110 starting issues

Hey all, I'm settling into my new "daily driver". It's an early 80's 110 with a naturally aspriated 2.5. Anyhow, I'm used to the cummins in my 109 which does not use any glow plugs and just fires right up every time. This 2.5 has a rough time on first start up for the day or when cold. Any suggestions on what to look for or check on the glow plug circuit. I do not see a light on the dash for the glow plugs so I'm thinking that might be the issue. If it's not the glow plugs what is the next most likely culprit. It starts up fine when warm. Is it also possible that it's just losing fuel pressure overnight?

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you following proper starting procedure for this engine? I only ask because mine didn't come with a manual, so perhaps yours didn't either.

When starting it from cold, first shift to neutral and do not touch either the clutch or the accelerator pedal. Rotate the key as though you are going to start, but stop short of actually engaging the starter. That should send 12v to the glow plugs, and should also actuate the yellow glow plug light. Mine is dim, and hard to see unless you are in very dim lighting.

Hold the key in that position for a minumum of 10 seconds (more if it's really cold), and then crank with your feet remaining off both pedals.

If that doesn't work, then make sure you are getting power to the glow plugs when you are holding the key in the glow plug position. If you are getting power, then perhaps the glow plugs need to be replaced.
    '55 SI 86

Thanks for the procedure. I don't have the manuals yet. I'll try that in the morning and see how it goes. I can't remember specifically if I've messed with the pedals but I can tell you I've let it go for longer that 30 seconds and still no joy.

In that case, and because you can't see the light at all, you're probably not getting power to your glow plugs.
    '55 SI 86

Yeah, I think you may be right. I followed the procedure you described and it wasn't any better. The only light that comes on is the battery light. I'm presuming there is a separate light for the glow plugs.

Yes, it's yellow and has a choke symbol on it. You've got a wiring fault somewhere, possibly a fuse or relay.
    '55 SI 86

Thanks, I'll have to check it. Been busy digging out from the storm here. I'm right by where the Potomac river runs in to the Chesapeake bay. No big issues on my property, but I have lot's of friends with damage and not power.

In very cold weather it will be necessary to use the clutch pedal. The additional resistance of the gearbox mainshaft in cold gear oil is some times enough to keep it from turning over. Mine starts without plugs down to about 5 degrees celcius after 5-10 seconds of cranking. Below 0 degrees celcius requires Diesel fuel treatment to prevent gelling, a good battery, and at least 30 seconds of glow plugs prior to cranking. And sometimes only a few shovels of hot coals from a wood stove under the front axle will do the trick.
    67 angry hamsters

I think my glow plugs are probably not working at all. Hope to mess around with it a bit this weekend. It usually takes about 2 or 3 times cranking for 5 to 10 seconds each to start it in the morning at around 65 degrees. I've got to sort it out before it starts getting cold.

I've got a 4 cyl cummins in my 109 and that thing fires right up down to 20 deg F no problem. There are no glow plugs on that motor.

I like the hot coal idea. I burn a wood stove in the winter so that would work pretty good.

Well, the glow plugs seem to be working fine. Might have been operator error. I wasn't turning the key far enough to activate the glow plugs.