Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.5 na 110 starting issues

2 things to note here:

First, I ALWAYS use the heater plugs on any cold start, whether it's 80 degrees out or 20 degrees out. Heater plugs are $8 each to replace; A 2.5 diesel starter is $250 + to replace and the multiple 10-second cranks are killing it.

Next, I'd recommend NGK Y208T heater plugs when the time comes to replace them. They're super-fast, compared to the originals. One of the best things I ever did for my 2.5.

Good luck!
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Thanks for the tip Mark. One more question. Is it normal to have to hold the key in position for the glow plugs to work? When I let go of the key it springs back and the light goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by slorocco View Post
    Thanks for the tip Mark. One more question. Is it normal to have to hold the key in position for the glow plugs to work? When I let go of the key it springs back and the light goes out.

A question for somebody else, unfortunately--I don't have a diesel ignition switch, so I have to hold a separate switch and count one potato, two potato...

I do know that some models of diesel rovers have a relay with a built-in timer, that once activated, will remain energized for so many seconds then automatically turn off, which is your cue to crank up the engine. Relay p/n PRC 6913. Thread on it here.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

That is correct, just hold the key in the glow plug position for as long as you need to glow, then twist the key the rest of the way to start.

I think the relays that Mark mentioned are on the later trucks, like the factory 300Tdi's. My 110 originally had the 2.5NA in it and I have to hold the key in position to heat the plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by slorocco View Post
    Brett
    Series 3 88 Diesel Soft Top
    Ex-Mod 110 Tdi

My glowplug/choke light was burnt out when I got the truck and made the same mistake the first time I tried to start it. I felt like a Dumbass calling the guy who sold it to me.
    67 angry hamsters

Thanks for the help guys.