Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Redesigned Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Broadstone View Post
    The models built in the 1990's arent even legal to import yet only up to 1986 is. But seems as if opertunists are taking 300tdi and td5 models and vin swapping them and calling them 1983-1986 model years anyway. Asking 60-80,000 dollars is one thing but actually getting it is another. The people paying the stupid high prices would most likley not even know if they have a spark plug or glow plug, let alone know how to change either!! They will most likley love this abomination, if its expensive it must be good.

Think about it when was the last time anyone in a Land Rover model newer than 2004 (last year of the discovery before it became LR3) ever waved to you. I look at every Land Rover I see while driving the 110 or the series and most do not even notice you. I get more attention and waves from jeep drivers! I do however find it very rewarding to see the look on childrens faces when you pull up next to them, they don't know what it is but the love it. They know its different and they know it's special, if only to us. I think us purists are quickly becoming the minority. Or is it that we are unwilling to let go of the past. However rusty it may be!!

According to the "legal models to import list" I think it was a 93 defender 110 and a 97 defender 90 are legal for import...might have that backwards. But they did sell defender 90's here for a while and they were always stupid money. I have seen new legaly sold in the USA defender 110's but again I suspect that was from a limited year.

97 was the last year for D90 sales in the US, not sure if one could import a non US spec Defender of the same year. The 97 is the most desirable since it's the only year (at least US spec) with roll up windows. I've had my eye out since I worked for a LR dealer (left in 03), but can't justify the cost.
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

Now all us young-ish folks know how it felt to the not-as-young-ish folks when the new Ford Mustang came out:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

ok, so I'm up at this hour of the night and I just finished watching the live press conference/release of the DC100 at the frankfurt auto show, part of me feels like I waisted an hour of my life, another part is almost excited to see how this turns out. They released a second concept tonight, called the DC100 sport, to appeal to the "traditional land rover owner" and it does look slightly more promising than the first. Despite looking like a slightly more boxy range stormer with a convertible top, it does look quite fun. However, it does look like Gerry McGovern is trying to bring back the freelander SE3 rather than continue the defender. When he said they incorporated some styling clues from the original defender models, I couldn't find any similarities between the two other than they both had four wheels. Mr. Mcgovern did continue to reiterate, and almost stress, the fact that these were both concepts and as if they would be open to suggestions and changes before the DC100 is due for production in 2015, lets hope they listen.

anybody can watch the press conference here: http://www.landrover.com/us/en/lr/de...concept/dc100/
    -Rob
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

If you type in land rover on facebook they have a survey for the DC100. They ask a few questions and ask for comments.
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

The DC100 looks like a Honda Element or the Kia Soul. Where's the giant Hip-hop hamster owner?!?!

If thats what the future of Land Rover looks like, Iveco needs to start marketing in the U.S.

Iveco Massif, was the Santana PS10, which grew from Series II produced in Spain.
    Stacy
    Motta S.A. Italy

Wow that dc100 sport takes the kia soul into isuzu vehicross territory! what an abortion. I have to say that the dc100 looked better in the video than the renderings, but still not a defender despite the "right" words pouring out of the shill's mouth. Strip it back, simplify and something could come out of it, but I have 0 faith.

I loved how the sport lead up talked about people who wanted a more performance driven vehicle, or a dependable urban partner....god. Well they know their current market.

Quote Originally Posted by xsbowes View Post
    If thats what the future of Land Rover looks like, Iveco needs to start marketing in the U.S.

Iveco Massif, was the Santana PS10, which grew from Series II produced in Spain.
    Lifted from Wikipedia: So much for the Massif.

The Iveco Massif is a utility 4x4 vehicle mainly aimed at the utility services and military markets and is part of Iveco’s 4x4 and off-road range which also includes the Trakker lorry and Daily 4x4 van. Massif was produced by Santana Motors from 2007 to 2011. In 2010, the sales of the Iveco Massif were not as expected and Iveco decided to stop the agreement with Santana. In 2011 the owner of Santana, the Government of Andalusia, decided to close down the company and its car factory and 1,341 people were laid off or retired prematurely.[1][2] From 6,692 cars made in 2007, the company manufactured 1,197 in 2009 and no more than 769 in 2010.
    Brian
    1974 Series III Coiler Project
    pics @: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2029646&id=1407702837&l=02d75d048d

I guess you could always burn $120,000 or more on a Mercedes G-Class and make it look like a Defender........Sort of?

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
    In 2010, the sales of the Iveco Massif were not as expected and Iveco decided to stop the agreement with Santana. From 6,692 cars made in 2007, the company manufactured 1,197 in 2009 and no more than 769 in 2010.

I wonder why manufacturers don't want to build true defenders (or things similar to Defenders) anymore?? After all, they sold 769 units in 2010
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).