Thread: Looking for a 109 5 Door in the US

Default Looking for a 109 5 Door in the US

Hi,

New to this site and looking to buy a 109 or 110 rig. Can be a project or ready to roll. Please contact me as I am a serious buyer. Thanks.

Stan

stanley_lyons@yahoo.com
    or
    mlyons@aeidish.com

Default 5 Door 109

Below is an e-mail on a 109 I was looking into near Raleigh, NC. I think it is still for sale. The guys e-mail address is dgrodgers1@msn.com.

Below is the text of the posting that I put up some time ago. It is all still correct as I haven't been spending any more money or time working on this one. Actually, I would need to start it up and drive it before I would swear it runs and drives because it has been sitting for over five months now. However, it is kind of like a tractor in that it always starts up even after sitting for a bit. It has always been garaged since I have owned it. It is a neat vehicle but not very mechanically complicated or sophisticated. The rear crossmember and frame are in good shape. The rearmost outriggers could use replacing. You probably already know that they are readily available (as are any other parts). It has been a few years but I recall them being around $100 each at Rovers North. The bulkhead is a common problem area with these things. Mine has some minor rust but is really not bad at all and would not need replacing. There's not much more to say about it. One modification that I was contemplating was replacing the drum brakes on the front with disc brakes.

1978 Series III 109. Bought it to play with but it is not getting the love it deserves since I got my D-90. It is a 3 door, ex-MOD, RHD, runs and drives. Had a current NC inspection but I let it lapse. I paid $5,700 for it a few years ago and have about $2-3k in new stuff on it. Really just need the space and the truck needs a good home. Some of the new stuff = all front seat tops and bottoms, door panels/arm rests, shocks, water pump, belts, hoses, washer pump, driver's side door top, window tracks, mats, tunnel and bulkhead covers, grill, marker light lenses, rear lens cage protectors, one of those crank arms so you can field start it like a model T and a bunch of other stuff I am forgetting. I have some new parts to install so you can start playing with it right away. I also have a few old parts including a spare gas tank that need to leave the garage when the truck does. It is green with a full hard top (white). The paint looks kinda sorry. I started to strip the bonnet with airplane stripper but stalled out. A guy at the barber shop told me about soda blasting aluminum and that killed my motivation to keep stripping by hand. I know there are some other points that I am forgetting.

I ran it on ebay a while back and I think the top bid was $3,800 if I recall correctly. My reserve was $4,500. It really is a cool vehicle to work on. Like a giant erector set and so tall you don't need to lift it to get around. But it sounds like from your questions you probably know about these trucks. I figure for less than $4,500 it is worth keeping around as a "someday I'll get to it" project.