Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 200 TDI into a Series IIA

I too would like to see pics espicaly of the modified turbo setup,
    the turbo's both 300& 200 defender ,seems even clocking the turbo (300) still is in the way of the steering box end on a LHD (don't know proper name) and the defender exhaust exits 1/4-1/2" over the same area, as mentioned on another site the only way to overcome this is to go power steering or move the motor mounts,adapter plate ect...
    if there is a way please share
    not looking for debating.....just maybe ideas in how this could be done

when my motor up and leaves, knock on wood
    this is going to be my choice.
    hopefully not for long time.
    aaron
    73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
    67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
    88 RRC sold
    60 mga coupe

I think the 200DI minus T might be the way to go. I have looked around and have seen some motors used or rebuilt for sale, but I would be interested in a 200di core (minus the turbo) to rebuild. My neighbor is a deisel mech and maybe order the parts to rebuild from our host Roversnorth. Where to begin?

am I buying a lot of work to fit this TDI in ?
    Oh yeah. And I mean a lot. Not a bolt in by any means. Many mods needed. Swapping to power steering will help ease the pain somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by baja gs View Post
    I think the 200DI minus T might be the way to go.
    Just curious, after putting in all the work and expense of a motor transplant, why leave out the turbo? Why a 200 at that point instead of a regular 2.5d or a Mercedes diesel?

Why a 200di minus turbo? I have done some reading on this matter and have come up with this. To begin with I am not a professional mech. That said, I saw a British site that sold the 200DI. Their claim was that without the turbo, mating the engine was much easier, that the standard radiator could be used. Also no intercooler. The non turbo is less worry on the trans and drive train, and fitting under the bonnet. The 200 TDI was made to withstand the added pressure caused by the turbo, so without the turbo, should last a long, long time. Now with this set up, it wont be a big jump in power, as far as a big noticeable increase in speed off starts and such, but will pull a mountain pass at 60-65 instead of 45. I dont know that this is all true, thats why Im asking. If this is the case, maybe some one could jump in with some good advice.

There was a long thread about the 200di conversion on the Series II club forum a year or two ago. The proponents of a non-turbo conversion were saying that the non turbo 2.5L 200di provided about the same power as a stock 2.5L petrol engine. Which is about 13HP plus some additional torque better than the 2.25L engine Americans are used to. That would make it less powerful the the stock US version of the LR six cylinder petrol engine.

If the advocates are right don't expect to climb hills faster than a LR with the six cylinder engine but you get a HUGE increase in fuel mileage and an engine that will outlast the petrol versions.

It is a conversion for a massive increase in fuel economy and not so much for speed according to the advocates on the SII club forum.

Quote Originally Posted by baja gs View Post
    Why a 200di minus turbo? .
    The stock series drivetrain won't cope well with the extra power of a 200TDI, I know a few that have regretted fitting a 200 TDI in a Series.

I would not fit a 200TDI in a Series Land-Rover.
    200Di is a much better solution, and a 200DI will last nearly for ever, but will also be a bit more noisy without the turbo.

People's Republick of Cambridge & Malpais CR

Quote Originally Posted by Lalo88DK View Post
    The stock series drivetrain won't cope well with the extra power of a 200TDI, I know a few that have regretted fitting a 200 TDI in a Series.
    Interesting.
    Which series?
    What was the "won't cope" and "regret"?
    What parts did the increased/HP/Tq cause to fail?
    What did TDi swapped owners do to prevent failure a second time? (assuming they did not remove turbo or whole tdi..)

Thnx
    The Toltec Coffee fleet....
    96 FZJ80: 3XL, lifted, and shaved
    94 FZJ 80: our Costa Rican coffee and surf mobile
    70 Series IIA 88: After 18 months of wrenching, its alive and legal to drive!
    70 Series IIA 88: in US on H-1B visa
    56 Series I 86: a whole new type of rover hell....

Quote Originally Posted by REDrum View Post
    Interesting.
    Which series?
    What was the "won't cope" and "regret"?
    What parts did the increased/HP/Tq cause to fail?
    What did TDi swapped owners do to prevent failure a second time? (assuming they did not remove turbo or whole tdi..)
    Probably pretty much all Series except stage I and 101's.

Won't cope means gearboxes tend to break as well as those wimpy 10 spline rear axles.

First you want a 24 spline rear axle conversion. You can get by with the stock gearbox if you are not into popping the clutch. Only problem is that the aftermarket gearbox replacement parts tend to be less than original quality. Some people with 109s install a LT77S five speed gearbox.

Some people have been known to use the stronger LT95 four speed gearbox. Others just try to be easy on the clutch with a stock box. If you do an LT95 you will probably want to swap in a Disco front axle assembly.

You just can not swap out one part of a drive train without thinking about how the new part will affect every other part. Well you can but eventually something in the rest of the drive train may well cause you to think beyond that one component you replaced.