Thread: GBR greasable poly-bushings ?

Default GBR greasable poly-bushings ?

I purchased greasable poly-bushings from GBR several months ago. I'm now ready to put them in.

I have the course thread ones, so I have to drill out all of the threads in my new shackles so they are smooth using a 9/16" drill bit, right?

Just want to confirm before I proceed.

Thanks,
    Jason

That is what Bill told me. It should be in the directions though.
    Jim

Thanks, Jim. Mine didn't come with directions, just the bushings. I'm working off of memory, so I wanted to be sure.

That's what I did. I don't remember the bit size. I think I mic'd the bolt with a gauge and just went form there. Have fun removing the frame bushings if you haven't yet.
    '67 sIIa 88

Ha! Thanks, East High...i removed the spring bushings months ago while rebuilding them. NEVER again! Did the frame bushings last week before the galvanizer, NEVER AGAIN! Such a PITA!

Jason

I will have to do this job shortly. How did you get those bushings out?
    Can't wait
    1964 Series IIa In progress
    1968 S IIa (Sold)
    1972 S III (Sold)
    1996 Discovery SE-7 (Sold)

I might have to replace my poly bushings from our host, I had a limited timeframe to get the job done while the S.O. and child were at her parents, so I went with the quickest (did't hear back from GBR) option. Now that the old bushings are out (torch the hell out of them, hacksaw, suffering) and the poly bushings have been in for the summer, the thing is squeaking like crazy despite a healthy application of lube on installation. The first month or so was great, so I think having the greasable option would be great.

Cant speak to there quality or effectiveness, but I hope to in a few months.

Skeeball: good luck! It's a PITA! It takes time and patience. I burned our the rubber and inner sleave (knocked a few years off my life), sawzalled most of the way through the outter sleave then used a hacksaw to cut it the rest of the way through. Once done, a flat blade a BFH and I collapsed them in and pushed them out. Make sure you get all the way through the bushing for the entire length. By doing this you release the pressure/tension and it will come out. I found an air hammer helpful for pushing them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    the poly bushings have been in for the summer, the thing is squeaking like crazy despite a healthy application of lube on installation. The first month or so was great, so I think having the greasable option would be great.
    That is a problem with standard poly bushings. The grease doesn't seem to say in there very long and they get noisy. But worse yet is that along with the increased friction that causes noise heat is generated. Put long miles on wash board roads and the bushings can heat up to the point where the bushings start getting soft and the friction causes them to show rapid wear. On the plus side they are easy to replace.

Greaseable bushings are in my book the way to go as long as you remember to grease them. I put a set in my truck years ago and they are still hanging in there like new.