Thread: clean a 1960ish series gas tank

Default clean a 1960ish series gas tank

what should i use to clean out my gas tank?. dont want to pull it out , has drain plug in the bottom, i could take out the sending unit, hole looks big enough to put a pressure washer inside, should i do that?. Help, not sure what to do , the engines runs but i have put several filters oon it and still looks dirty.

You need to pull it to do it right. There are no short cuts for that. I'd use the POR15 system once pulled. Marine Clean (degreaser, cleaner), Metal Etch (removes rust, etches metal), and then US Sealant (also POR15 product), to seal everything. Should last at least 15 years if done following the directions. Probably a lot more.
    1970 88 IIA

Default gas tank

Took the thing out, was a mess, smelled bad looked was bad, there are 6 bolts holding the tank in, took about 30 minutes, the tank dropped right out. best thing i did was to order a new tank, took about 30 minutes to put back in, i have another series 3 that i did the gas tank on, best thing just buy a new tank, it was easy.