Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2.25 not firing 3&4 ?

I have checked the coil resistance, it is a "Flame Thrower" that I bought with the pertronics....the resistance is 3.0 ohms. I'll check the voltage across the points.
    Also I'll through this out there to think about. This has happened twice, In the morning when it's cold I need full choke and pump the pedal a few times. When it starts it sounds pretty good for about 10 seconds then it's back to misfiring again & then thats it for the rest of the day.

I do have battery voltage when points are open & .25 when closed.

Hang on...do you have points or a Pertronix?

You say that you need to choke it to start it then it runs for 10 seconds then misfires the rest of the day. Are you making choke adjustments? Are you driving the truck with the choke on all day? Does the misfire change with choke adjustments? You also say it's not firing on 3 and 4. Are you driving the truck on two cylinders?
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

I am not driving, haven't driven in months & the choke is used just to start it in the morning for my day of troubleshooting. I have two distributors, the old lucas with pertronics & a new one with points. The points distributor is in it now but I have tried the pertronics a few times thats why the flame thrower coil, I figured I would buy the pertronics & new coil at the same time.
    It will run on 3&4 if I unplug 1&2. In my troubleshooting I have found it will run on any two cylinders but only two ???

Have you changed the coil since this started or are you still using the Pertronix?
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

I changed the coil awhile ago, I have other coils I can try.
    I'm totally out of ideas. I have talked to the Land Rover dealer about it but I have my doubts that they will find anything, they work on all new stuff & at $135.00 per hour it will get real expensive real fast. Would they have magic equipment that could diagnos this?

I would stay away from the dealer on this issue. you are better off finding an older gentleman who owns an independent garage. Dealer technicians don't seem to know how to diagnose anything that doesn't have a computer port on it, and they are only capable of swapping out parts, not always fixing the problem.

Search the yellow pages for a classic car shop or a british car shop in your area.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

I just checked compression again & it looks like to me that my compression is going down from when I checked it a few weeks ago??? The head is newly rebuilt, the cylinders honed with new rings. The readings I got today are the lowest I have seen. #1=110 #2=110 #3=118 #4=110 seems really low to me. Do the new rings need to break in?

Its my understanding that yes, the rings do need to seat in the bore before they seal properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I just checked compression again & it looks like to me that my compression is going down from when I checked it a few weeks ago??? The head is newly rebuilt, the cylinders honed with new rings. The readings I got today are the lowest I have seen. #1=110 #2=110 #3=118 #4=110 seems really low to me. Do the new rings need to break in?
    the purpose of honing is to apply a cross hatch pattern to the cylinder walls. The cross hatch is a roughing of the cylinder walls that is designed help wear the rings to the cylinder walls. I have heard all sorts of break in procedures for newly rebuilt engines. have you done any sort of break in on your new engine?