Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: You know your driving a series rover when...

...you are driving with your wife/girlfriend/acquaintance when something goes "bang!" and you loose power.

She asks, "What was that?"

And you reply, "Hold on, I'm going through the options."
    77 88" SIII County SW
    82 Jp CJ8

Before you leave for even the shortest trip you make sure to make sure to empty your bladder.
    04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
    '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Default You know you are a long time Series owner when

You know you are a long time Series owner when:

- The smell of hot gear oil on metal is the comforting smell of home.

- When the first sight of your truck as you head out to it brings a smile to your lips and the feeling of meeting an old trusted companion with whom you share decades of experiences.

- When you know your truck's every mood like a long established marriage. You know what to expect under different conditions and how best to sooth it and coax it to do what you want it to do. You know if you take care of it, it will bring you home when other trucks would have long since fallen by the wayside.

- You have the torque value of lug nuts memorized because you know that the guy putting on a new set of tyres will look up the Toyota Land Cruiser spec which is way higher. And you only go to tyre shops that offer centre hole mount spin balancing.

- When a mechanic or vehicle inspector tells you to start shopping for a new car because your frame has too much rust, you automatically start trying to decide if you want to get a new galvanized stock frame or convert to a coil sprung frame.

- When you finally get tired of cold weather or comfort issues and yearn for something a little more plush, instead of looking at newer cars you start looking in parts books for newer Series and Defender trucks for upgrades. And you expect parts for a 30 year newer vehicle to fit.

- You know more about the mechanics of your truck than you ever dreamed you could know in a lifetime. The white 2 volume bible stays at home because you no longer need to refer to it after breaking something on a trail. You have a bunch of torque values and uses for different colours of wire insulation memorized.

- You think of terms and spelling used in Land Rover manuals as the normal usage & spelling in the US

- You feel you have more in common with early Bronco, Scout and FJ40 owners than you do with Range Rover or coiler Land Rover owners. And you not only know that owners of newish Rovers, other than Defenders, don't know what you are driving but that they don't care in the slightest.

- You are convinced that driving is a participant activity, that you should experience your environment while driving (cold, hot, wet, dusty) and you know that when transversing rough ground what is between your ears is more important than any button you might push in a newish SUV.

You know you drive a Series when...

- Vehicle security (locking your doors and windows) is not your primary concern.
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

(for example this morning ...) You run the 4 blocks to Subway for one of their brekkie sandwiches and it takes more than a half hour because of the two 10-minute Rover conversations and the request to hold on a sec while some guy takes a photo.

Thats funny, I was looking at a plusher truck the other day..one day you say i think I want to sell it..then walk out to it and say why..then it wont start wrecking the new view in your head..lol.

I agree about the reliable part. My boss ( who is always an opinionated *ss. Has to say something everytime I have the hood up. Oh look take a picture hood up on a Rover again..meanwhile I was either just checking the oil, or like last time adjusting valves. He has a 356 so that explains some. Has it done some weird things? Sure. Do i get nervous sometimes yep. But I also realize it is 40 years old, with 40 year old everything. Items will fail to age, not design.

ok one more: you secretly thought about a wind spoiler for the spare tire on the hood to direct airflow over the roof..
    1969 Series 2a Bugeye

When your Series stops along the road because the British electric fuel pump quit again, and a Jag driver stops and asks, "Don't you have a wooden mallet for striking the fuel pump?" Loans you his, and it works. Then you notice this mallet actually has a Land Rover logo on it...

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Quote Originally Posted by Billy5 View Post
    ok one more: you secretly thought about a wind spoiler for the spare tire on the hood to direct airflow over the roof..
    Totally!
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

When you get back to the truck after fishing there's a card on the windscreen it says. "I'm always looking for vehicles for a photo shoot, give me a call" That won't happen with a subaru, jimmy, bronco II,,,...
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Quote Originally Posted by siii8873 View Post
    When you get back to the truck after fishing there's a card on the windscreen it says. "I'm always looking for vehicles for a photo shoot, give me a call" That won't happen with a subaru, jimmy, bronco II,,,...
    I have a stack of these and 'if you ever wanna sell it, give me a call' cards stashed in my 88.
    '67 sIIa 88