Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops - Ran My Rover into a Jersey Barrier

Default Oops - Ran My Rover into a Jersey Barrier

So I was putting air in the Rover's tires yesterday, and the hose was just a bit too short to get around thee entire truck. To get the left side, I had to turn the truck around quickly, then get out, then air up.

I got back in after I finished, put it in gear, the the gas, and WHAAAAAM I see dust flying in front of me, along with a 3 ft wide mini Jersey barrier flying forward. It was just below fender height, and when I had moved mid-air up I hadn't noticed it, and it now was not visible when I got back in. I wonder how much those things weigh. Anyway, I was expecting a mushed bumper and fender and such, along with who knows what else. I got out.....and all there was was a dimple behind the round eye hook on the left side. That's it! Talk about a tough old truck
    Last edited by Bostonian1976; 04-29-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Default wheel moved forward?

actually...now that I look at this picture....my left wheel looks a bit far forward in the well.........would you guys agree?

83 views..........no one cares

ah well....just thought I'd share. it sucked!

And unfortunately I didn't look UNDER the bumper but I'm wondering if it potentially did damage under there...

Each Jersey Barrier weighs in at 5,780 lbs. - a bit more than a Land Rover.

http://www.ultrablock.com/JerseyBarrier.html

Maybe it is the perspective that throws it off but the line between front of the fender and the top of the fender looks a bit 'askew'.

At least you didn't run into a Jersey barrier on the highway....

LaneRover

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover
    Each Jersey Barrier weighs in at 5,780 lbs. - a bit more than a Land Rover.

http://www.ultrablock.com/JerseyBarrier.html

Maybe it is the perspective that throws it off but the line between front of the fender and the top of the fender looks a bit 'askew'.

At least you didn't run into a Jersey barrier on the highway....

LaneRover
    thanks! This was a "baby" Jersey barrier...no more than 3 ft wide at most. There were two of them set in front of the propane thing to make sure no one hits the propane tanks I guess. They were still haphazardly placed in my opinion (right in the middle of a bunch of parking spaces)

and yeah...that fender has always been askew lol. I suppose the only possible damage I didn't see would be from the barrier tipping forward and hitting my front leaf spring....not much else down there so close to the front of the truck I hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian1976
    actually...now that I look at this picture....my left wheel looks a bit far forward in the well.........would you guys agree?
    The wheels naturally sit forward in the well. Relax, I don't think you did any damage. Especially if you were only in 1st gear. You have to be in at least 3rd to do some damage!

My brother once drove my NADA over two concrete filled steel poles, buried two feet deep (in more concrete) and a no parking sign.

Both poles were destroyed. The left front horn bent down 1" and the long tie rod broke. Not a scratch on the bodywork. He was unharmed. The Rover drove home, with only one front steering tire.

He must have been going 25 - 30mph and didn't calculate the "huge" turning radius. He hasn't driven it since, and hasn't asked to.

The no parking sign hangs in my room to this day.
    Last edited by jp-; 04-30-2007 at 12:12 PM.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Forgot to mention that the bumper did have a nice V-shape to it.

Wish I had saved it.

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Default thanks

thanks JP. Guess I'm used to modern cars where a hit like this would surely do some serious damage, even at 5-10 mph like I was going (at most). I think I was saved from a v-shaped bumper by the tow hooks!

Bostonian,

I can't even see any dimple in your bumper in the photo, but it looks like someone has defaced your front license plate. It appears to have white graffiti over it...

lol.....yeah life is tough in boston! vandalism everywhere!!