Thread: Stainless Braided Brake Flex Hoses - are they worth it?

Default Stainless Braided Brake Flex Hoses - are they worth it?

I am looking into replacing my front flex hose brake pipes. One has a heavily abraded spot on it and I would do the other side just as insurance. (I had a hard pipe brake line failure at the Romp so I am going through and checking all my lines at the moment.)

I can find standard flex hoses for fairly decent prices. I also see RN offers a fancy braided steel flex pipe for quite a few more dollars.

Is the braided hose worth the extra coins? Especially considering the application in a Series truck...?

Has anyone used them and can you really feel a benefit?
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

It ain't a racing car and if you consider the available volume in those hoses compared to the rest of the system expansion will have a very limited effect on feel and performance. Great on bikes, good on racing cars, damn all performance effect on a Rover. Nice bling though.

Where they can help is limiting the moisture absorption of you break fluid as they are far less permeable to moisture. Then again, how is the reservoir cap and when was the last time you changed the fluid?

Well, for one thing you wouldn't notice much abrasion using stainless steel flex hoses. Also on the trail they seem thougher to break, knowing how stray branches sometimes/somehow end up tangled in there. Stainless steel hoses and brake pipes might look like "Bling" but they are tougher and do last much longer (no rust). Of course this may just be predjudice because I worked many years for a major stainless steel producer.

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S
    Last edited by mearstrae; 02-28-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling

D, the best thing about the braided lines is that you can more or less forget about them.

Jegs carries the hose, fittings and 3/8-24 to AN adapters so you can make your own if yez wanna.

I switched to them quite a few years ago on my 109. No perceptible difference in feel or performance.

I put a set on about 6 years ago. Slightly firmer pedal. Still look new and are holding up well. The ones I put on have a clear plastic coating so the dirt can't get into the braiding to wear at the inners. Only you can determine if the cost difference is worth it though. I do.

Those were some good links.

It appears that the difference on a Series truck is slight - and one of the links mentioned the worry about dirt wearing out the inner linings unless you hoses have an outer plastic covering.

I am fairly sure the new flex brake hoses will see dirt in their future and that my braking needs are not that extreme. It looks like I will be saving my coins for other bling purchases and sticking with good old fashion rubber.
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

I think if you were otherwise inclined to pay $22-$30 for genuine flex lines then the SS lines make a lot more sense.

Also FWIW the last regular rubber brake lines I bought lasted only about 4 years before hey cracked all to hell. Mind you they weren't genuine- I can't remember who I bought them from (AB Maybe?). Given my experience with those aftermarket flex lines I think I'd give SS flex lines a go next time I deal with lines.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Performance wise you won't notice any stopping earlier but you will have years of knowing that they aren't cracking and/or swelling up! Worth it in my book! You might be able to get some made at a local hose repair shop, just take in your old ones so they can get the fittings right.
    On the bad side you shouldn't clamp them off to find air in the brake system, the teflon will crack.

gene