Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition / Headlight switch wiring diagram

Default Ignition / Headlight switch wiring diagram

I am trying to put my 1966 IIa 109 back together after painting and removing the engine to replace the RMS. I did not do as good a job as I should have marking wires when I removed various wires. Can someone post or point me to a diagram of which terminals are which on the back of the headlight / ignition switch. (I am sure it is out there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it).
    Thanks.

Did you try the links to the wiring diagrams on the top of all the electrical pages in the Rovers North online series catalog?

Here's a direct link to the diagram, but if you click on any of the sub-systems (windscreen wipers, Aux. bulbs, lens, charging, etc.) on the Series Electrical page, you'll see the links to the diagrams on the top of the pages that come up.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Default Go here

Quote Originally Posted by lrdukdog View Post

Interesting...The contact numbers on the wiring diagram bear no resemblance to the contact markings on the back of the switch on pre-SIII vehicles?
    --Mark

Thanks.

Default ????

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Interesting...The contact numbers on the wiring diagram bear no resemblance to the contact markings on the back of the switch on pre-SIII vehicles?
    Ok but, you knew there would be a "but" didn't you? I would have to take mine off to see (1966 SIIA) are the contacts etc. in the corrct places if so then I would say try it out and see. It is probably like most things Land-Rover ie, there is nothing standard from one to the other as far as parts go. I guess some switches had the letters and some didn't.
    Jim Wolf

If your switch is like my 2a then maybe I can help. There one post on the back by itself, this is the feed to the switch. The rest are "tied" meaning power is shared to two posts. So brown/blue brown on one, white with purple ( starter solenoid) etc. Use a test light once you have power to the switch turn it on. There will be one post that doesnt not have power until you turn the switch to start then off when you release it. This should be the starter solenoid post. The rest is lights.
    1969 Series 2a Bugeye

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post

The connection diagram on my switch back drawing is for trucks that were positive earth from the factory and had a combination ignition headlamp switch. The diagram will not work for late SIIA or SIII.

There were no numbers on the combination ign./headlamp switch.

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post

Ahh...so the labels on your diagram are just there to assist folks in figuring out what to plug into each terminal...Gotcha.

IIRC, the first SIII ignition switch I replaced had the terminals numbered exactly the same as the wiring schematic, but the one I replaced a few months ago had them labeled completely differently. No bearing on the OP, but I figured they might be labeled the same as on the schematic for those "old" Rovers.
    --Mark

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
    The connection diagram on my switch back drawing is for trucks that were positive earth from the factory and had a combination ignition headlamp switch. The diagram will not work for late SIIA or SIII.

Mine is a combination headlight/ignition switch. Billy5's post is helpful to track it down, but I was hoping to find a diagram of that type of switch that shows everything (I need it a simple as possible based on my complete incompetence).