Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ignition / Headlight switch wiring diagram

I am following up on this. I still haven't found a wiring diagram that has the same configuration/markings of my switch, which for clarification is a combination headlight/ignition switch on a negative earth 1966 IIa. (The diagrams for the positive earth IIa's that I can find show two different switches for the ignition and headlights, with the posts identified by number: The diagram for the positive earth IIa has some of the same letters that my switch has, but they are not all the same).

My switch has an outer ring and an inner ring. The inner ring has two posts tied together, and is marked "ign." I think I can figure that one out.

The outer ring has the follwing posts on it (they are a little hard to read, but I think these are the markings):
    "A"
    "S&T"
    "PRS3"
    "H"

As if you were talking to a 3rd-grader, please tell me what those posts are and where the wires go that are coming to and from those posts. (please understand that I realize these are dumb questions, but if I could figure it out without your help, I wouldn't be asking them).

Thanks for your help.

Any help here?

S&T means Side and tail lights
    H is headlights
    not sure about the PRS3, is that on the outer ring or next to wear the key goes in?
    Also not sure about A.

I can't help you much with the wiring other than the fact that the headlight current goes from the battery to the switch and all the way to the lights, same with the side and tail lights.

Sorry I am not more help
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Complete guess here, but perhaps "A" is for Accessories? And then whatever wire is left over would go to "PRS3" I've been trying to think what other electrical components there are to power on a Series rover (clearly not many)... maybe the running lights? By the way, what does the front of the switch say? And what posts line up with what position on the switch?
    ~Neil

1974 Series III 88
    1955 Chevy 3200 truck

Quote Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
    Complete guess here, but perhaps "A" is for Accessories? And then whatever wire is left over would go to "PRS3" I've been trying to think what other electrical components there are to power on a Series rover (clearly not many)... maybe the running lights? By the way, what does the front of the switch say? And what posts line up with what position on the switch?
    Ignition/coil power supply?
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Default Series 2 wiring

H= blue wire to headlight dip switch
    IGN=white wire to fuse box
    white wire to warning light, fuel level
    white wire to warning light, oil pressure
    white wire to warning light, charging
    A=brown w/white runner to ammeter
    S=red to side lights
    red to tail lamps/ number plate illumination
    red to switch, panel illumination

On series 2a
    A=brown w/blue runner to voltage control box

On series 3 the positions seem to be numbered 1-4 in my repair manuals. 1 at 12 o'clock, 2 at 3, 3 at 6, 4 at 9.
    In all my manuals the IGN is shown in the 2 o'clock position for the series 2 and for the series 3 it corresponds to #2 in the 3 o'clock position. Petrol series 3 don't use the #4 position, It is used for glow plugs.
    A is at 11 o'clock, S at 8, H at 5.

You may have an aftermarket switch that works but not "Rover"
    Hope this helps, also if you don't have a repair manual obtain 1 or 2. On 1 take the binding apart and put it into a 3 ring binder for field use or if you just get 1 copy what you are working on and put that into a 3 ring binder. this way you keep the main manual clean for reference.

gene