Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey, there's no light in here!

Default Hey, there's no light in here!

Hello all.
    Took my Series for a drive last night, and couldn't see a thing.
    Now, I knew there wasn't a light of any kind on the inside, but I was just wondering what most of you do. I guess the obvious answer is a flashlight or torch.
    Any creative ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Dietersrover View Post
    Now, I knew there wasn't a light of any kind on the inside...
    Are you driving a soft top? I think everything else generally came with a dome light at one time.

Why not just get a 12v light and plug it in to the dome light wire?

Even if you are driving a soft top, all you'll need to add is a ground wire to run a dome light.

Having suggested that, I haven't had a dome light since I pulled my hard top--I just do it all from memory at night. Nothing changes position; gear shifter, handbrake lever, key slot, switches, etc. are all in the same spot...
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I have a soft top and I don't have any problems driving at night. The dash lights are sufficent. I keep a flashlight in the truck though.

Rick
    73 xMOD S3 109
    52 M37

I have one of those stick-on, push on-push off lights on my headliner when I need to rummage around the truck.
    04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
    '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

I wired up the dome light in my soft top when I switched over. Piece of cake. Just use a hose clamp on the hoop and attach the base of the light to the tail of the clamp (bolt or rivet (your choice). All grounded and away you go.

I have been thinking that some LED string lights would work great as interior rover lighting. You can get them in all sorts of colors and lengths and they are low power draw. I was thinking you could run a strip down each side of the roof in that flat troth above the doors. You could put a strip of clear lights on each side and a strip of red...the red could be flipped on when driving down the road for less impact on your night vision.

I did something like Mongoswede describes in my 109- I got this led set from ikea for $30 and mounted one led segment above each of the doors in the troth, and the other two in the roof hard top grooves in back. I ran the wires through the folded cross supports of the roof which was a pain but clean things up. I lopped the transformer off since it is native 12v and tied it directly to my gauge light switch as I have my gauges tied into my headlamp switch. My truck never had a dome light, or the 3 ways switch for the gauges/dome that NAD trucks seem to have. It really lights up the interior quite well.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119418/

I plan on going the flex LED route as well. Put some under the dash and other strategic areas, like the back of the rear bulkhead, and you should be good to go

On a side note...the 109 that i am rewiring had no interior lighting other then the stock dome lighting when I picked it up. I drove it off the trailer and into my garage in the dark one night...the inside of the truck had foolishly been painted black by a less knowing previous owner. The truck was so dark that if you did not have a headlamp on or turn on the dome light you couldnt even find the damn shifter That said, the dome light actually worked really well.

Default dome lights

my series 2a had a dome light, I think I remember the feed being a purple wire with a small white stripe, look for that wire.