Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey, there's no light in here!

Default Lights

I purchased two battery powered LED stick on (Velcro) light from Lowes a few months ago and have been very happy with them. Batteries last forever, it will never drain my main battery, no issues with them getting wet, and I can un Velcro them and use them as an additional work light under the hood. I placed one above the cab and one above my rear door.
    1971 Ex Mod IIA 109
    1985 D110
    1998 D1 (Sold)

Default thanks

Thanks for all the great replies. I do have a canvas top and have been using a flash light.
    I like the LED ideas, may have to look into that.

I know the LED strips were mentioned. A while back I was at Pepboys (why, i dont know) and they had some strip LED lights maybe just over a foot long and they put out a very nice white light. I stuck it under the lip on the bottom of the dash on my 70 IIA and it lights up the cockpit perfectly. It comes with a cheapo switch and some sticky tape. I think it cost around 25 bucks. I like it because its not bright at all but lights up the entire floor area. I think you can use either a battery pack it comes with or hardwire it.
    1970 Series IIA 109 EX-MOD
    1971 Series IIA 109 EX-MOD
    1982 Mercedes 300TD
    1989 RRC
    1993 D110
    1994 RRC LWB
    1995 RRC SWB Brooklands Edition
    1995 RRC LWB
    1995 RRC LWB
    1995 Disco
    1996 GMC 2500 Suburban
    1996 Disco
    1997 Disco
    2001 RR P38
    2005 LR3 HSE
    2006 RR HSE

Dieter? It's Jen!!! When the heck did you get a Series???? Guess I haven't been around much. LOL

We want to see your new truck...that way I can remember what a running truck looks like.
    1966 IIa - ex-MOD, ex-FFR, ex-24v
    1997 Discovery SE7 - I'm empty inside without her

Quote Originally Posted by Dietersrover View Post
    Thanks for all the great replies. I do have a canvas top and have been using a flash light.
    I like the LED ideas, may have to look into that.
    I did the LED route, and a friend helped to fab up with Alum a dome light fixture in a shop at work on the weekend - added a this flexible lexan for cover. The LEDs are from AutoZone, come in configurations with sets of 4 LEDs in a plastic potted config.. so daisy chained 3 of those together in this set up, and mounted to the roll cage...
    ---------------------------
    1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
    1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
    1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
    1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
    1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
    2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
    2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mrdoiron View Post
    I did the LED route, and a friend helped to fab up with Alum a dome light fixture in a shop at work on the weekend - added a this flexible lexan for cover. The LEDs are from AutoZone, come in configurations with sets of 4 LEDs in a plastic potted config.. so daisy chained 3 of those together in this set up, and mounted to the roll cage...
    Also made a couple small aluminum hat-sections to mount plunger switches, and now the light comes on when the doors open. Almost feels too civilized :-)
    Last edited by mrdoiron; 03-18-2012 at 01:19 AM.
    ---------------------------
    1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
    1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
    1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
    1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
    1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
    2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
    2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mrdoiron View Post
    Very very cool.
    Thanks