Thread: Ground Strap ?

Default Ground Strap ?

I just found a woven metal strap at the back of my baby which is connected to the body supports but is not connected on the other end. I'm sure it should be but where?
    Jim

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it is attached to the transmission mount, on the transmission side (not the frame side) to overcome the insulating rubber mount.
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

It all depends on the truck naturally. If it is an ex MOD truck these are probably just the ground suppression straps to minimize radio interference. If this is the case they are unimportant in civilian life.

If you truck is civilian spec then it will be the ground strap for the rear body. I would have to look but I think it could hook up to the thru screw for the ground for the rear lights. This would place it under the rear wing.

The earth strap for the engine is up front roughly in line with the bulkhead.

Cheers
    Gregor

My NAS civilian 1971 88" had two straps, one from the battery in the front of the truck and the second one at the transmission mount.
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie
    ground strap for the rear body
    What's it needed for?

I've never seen these. Doesn't really seem like it would be that important.

Ground goes grom battery to frame, and from engine to frame. My ground strap mounts to a little "tang" that comes off the frame adjacent to the starter.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Apparently this one is supposed to ground the exhaust system. Does anyone know if it should mount to the top of the tailpipe clamp or the bottom?

Jim,
    It sounds like you have an ex-MOD truck. If this is the case it is just the radio interference supression straps in which case they are unimportant unless you happen to be runing radios. My 101 has these all over the vehicle between panels, the exhaust etc. but I generally either leave them undone or remove them if they get in the way.

JP,
    I have seen straps under the rear body but I suspect that they have been added. As the wiring loom ages and grounding problems develop some people will add extra ground straps around the truck as a means of mitigating this. From memory the one on my truck went from bolt on the chassis near the top of the cross member to the screw that mounts the common ground for the rear lights. This means that it is on the inside of the right (passenger) rear wheel arch. If it ain't broke don't fix it so I left it in there and I have never had an issue with my rear lights.

Cheers
    Gregor

Gregor,

The rear lights ground to the frame though, not the body. So grounding the body isn't going to help.

My rear light grounds hook up to a chassis ground on the rear x-member.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Jp,
    My wording was probably off. The ground strap I refer to does not ground 'the rear body' but the electrical circuits in the rear body as you describe. I was being a bit lazy.

On my truck, ('71 NADA SIIA) the rear lights attach to a common ground connection behind the covers at the back of the load bed. This common connection is held in place by a screw that passes through the top of the wheel arch. The strap I refer to is attached to this screw but on the other side of the sheetmetal that forms the body. This then grounds to the chassis. Although it is bad practice the screw passing through the bodywork provides the electrical connection between the ground connection and the strap.

On MOD trucks their are ground straps between all large metal assemblies (Body panels, exhaust etc.) and the frame. I understand this is for RF supression for radio mounting. This seems to be what Jim is seeing.

Cheers
    Gregor