Thread: trmx fluid check

Default trmx fluid check

while driving under very moderate conditions my overheat transmission warning light came on..I stopped and read all the manual info and none of the suggestions were evident..Next I tried to check the tmx fluid and find there is no dipstick..how do I check the tmx fluid in my 99 Discovery II

No dip stick.
    Plug on the transmission pan on the side.
    Fluid level should be to the plug with engine running.
    You fill through this plug as well.

The temp sensor is on the trans fluid cooler in front of the radiator.
    These sensors are a common failure.

Steve
    71 IIa 88
    01 D2

Default tmx fluid check

thanks steve for the info will check when on lift

Default tmx fluid quantity

how much transmission fluid does the 99 discover hold when changing the fluid..i see only one plug on the tmx pan and it looks to shallow for an adeguate supply of fluid...appreciate any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by borog View Post
    how much transmission fluid does the 99 discover hold when changing the fluid..i see only one plug on the tmx pan and it looks to shallow for an adeguate supply of fluid...appreciate any advice.
    Look at the previous post. The important part is that the fluid level is checked with the engine running. It would be too low if you added fluid to that level with the engine off. When the engine is running it's turning the transmission pump and much of the fluid is circulating in the transmission. Another important element in this equation is that the fluid should be just dribbling out the hole in the pan when the transmission is at operating temperature, if you do it cold, the level will be to low. (15 minutes of driving will get it to operating temp, the "book" has you plugging into the testbook computer to verify the temperature but we never did that at the dealership mainly because we only had 1 testbook and somebody else was usually using it.) But the 15 minute method checked out to be the proper temperature. Personally I like dipsticks better.
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

Hi.. just to comment... I have the same problem months ago... trans oil temp light on... change trans oil and filter and the light goes on again after a few minutes of driving..... solution.. ..change the temp. sensor.. located at the front of the Disco..at the cooler radiator.... It could be easily changed by the right front side behind the tire...it is a panel... just take off this panel and you can see the sensor... if you take off the tire you has more space to work.....
    Discovery II 2001

Rebuild > front and rear propshaft, alternator
    Replace > oil pump, water pump, time kit, shocks, engine and trans mounts, front wheel hubs, abs front sensor, trans oil temp sensor, evap valve, trans filter, engine sump gasket, clock light bulb...
    Cleaning > Throtle body, pvc valve..

Have a nice day...