Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoration store started in Arabian desert for LR S2a

Post Restoration store started in Arabian desert for LR S2a

Hello everybody,

I just started my "Dandan" restoration; I am not sure exactly the model of this series, It is told 1964 military edition. I need a help on where chassis number can be obtain. Here below I would share the pic of Dandan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71577034@N08/6554874975/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71577034@N08/6554819723/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71577034@N08/6554834607/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71577034@N08/6554867277/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71577034@N08/6554881355/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71577034@N08/6554898973/

The engine looks to replace better than waste time/effort in rebuild; therefore, what other series petrol 4cylinder engine can work in straight forward replacement? I am thinking in 2.5L SIII engine?

Also do you recommend to replace gearbox at same time since engine replacement option is there?

Order a new engine from Turner in the UK. Also order a rebuilt S3 gearbox and transfer case from Ashcroft Transmissions. Order a new frame from Designa Chassis, Marsland Chassis.
    Remove the aluminum skins from the frames on the doors bonnet and tailgate. There are lots of rivets that you will have to chisel the heads off of. Strip all removable parts from the fire wall. Take the separated aluminum and steel parts to be chemically stripped of rust and paint.
    Overhaul the steering gear, axles and clean out the fuel tank and radiator (there should be a shop that can do that for you)
    Order a new wiring harness, starter and battery, and clean up all the lamp fixtures.
    Take clean steel parts to have galvanized, and send body panels to paint shop.
    Order new polybush kit and parabolic springs from Heystee automotive
    Order new seats, interior and canvas hood from Exmoor trim.

Other replacement parts can be had from John Craddock or Famous Four or any number of suppliers.

Should be somewhere in the $15-25,000 range for all that, but the truck will be good for another 40 or so years.

Reassemble and enjoy.

Wow, great full rebuild plan

I am not planning to have core parts abroad, I aim to use available part in our country (plenty of LR series part available) with little modification such as milling cylinder head/using SIII cam...etc

Thanks "mongoswede" for attachment

Quote Originally Posted by dabawei View Post
    Thanks "mongoswede" for attachment

No problem. Actually didnt attach the photos. If you have the web address directly to the photo you can link them so they appear in the message. All I did was get that link from Flikr and then when I posted here I pasted that link into the box that shows up after clicking the little yellow icon on the menu bar.....looks like a rectangle with a small mountain and sun in it and a yellow background....6th from right.

Quote Originally Posted by dabawei View Post
    Wow, great full rebuild plan

I am not planning to have core parts abroad, I aim to use available part in our country (plenty of LR series part available) with little modification such as milling cylinder head/using SIII cam...etc
    Hmm, well good luck with that. However, buying the parts directly from the sources mentioned above will not be all that much more money than having things done locally from parts "available in your country", and you can be assured that they will be done right and are ready to drop in.

If you get into this truck, you are not going to get away cheap, unless you just want a quaint beater.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Hmm, well good luck with that. However, buying the parts directly from the sources mentioned above will not be all that much more money than having things done locally from parts "available in your country", and you can be assured that they will be done right and are ready to drop in.

If you get into this truck, you are not going to get away cheap, unless you just want a quaint beater.

Whats wrong with a quaint beater? A lot of Land Rovers have served out their lives in that roll.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Default quaint beaters

That was there were when they drove off the assembly line.
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

So.....tell us the "story". Tales of it's lurid past (whether true or not) and how you came upon the Rover.

We all need a story to read on Xmas eve so we can have something to look forward to other than experiencing shopping psychosis.
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks