Thread: 00 DII Mixing water/oil

Unhappy 00 DII Mixing water/oil

Hey guys, My 00 DII is really confusing me. It overheated once, which is bad, and started to mix water and oil. So...I changed the head gasket but the head were not warped or cracked, so I thought I got lucky. No. One month after the head job it started to do it agian. So I changed the gasket again. This has happened three times, and every time it starts to mix I change the gasket and I put a few thousand miles on until it starts to mix. Anybody have any idea what this thing is doing?

1- Double Check your Head Bolt Torque Specs.
    2- After you replace a head gasket & everything is torque'd down, you need to go back at (don't know LR's exact milage) and re-torque them. Constantly

Sell it.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

The sequence of events was reversed in the case of my 97, I lost the coolant and the temperature gauge started to rise. In my case the antifreeze mixed with the oil, and there was no oil in the antifreeze. The problem was a failed gasket between the engine block and the engine front cover. The coolant from the cylinder heads passes through the top of the cover and when the gasket failed to the inside the antifreeze ran down into the oil. I've been told that this would also happen if the front cover was cracked.
    Ron Thompson, VE8RT
    Yellowknife, NT, Canada
    "Who are are these that fly as a cloud, and as doves to their window?" Is 60:8

Who determined the heads weren't warped? If you took them to a machine shop, you should have had them (First) Either pressure teste them, or LP dye check them, then if they are good, skim to true.
    Another common spot that leaks is the corners of the intake manifold to head joint.
    My guess is you have a cracked head, and it's likely leaking right down the valley into the pan

When you torsion torque heads down with composite head gaskets, and torsion bolts you do not need to re-torque them. (aside from the fact that your leak isn't likely from failed head gaskets)

Aren't the D2 head bolts one time use? Were they ever replaced while doing the gasket fitment?
    1973 Series III
    1995 RRC LWB
    2000 Discovery II
    2000 Range Rover