Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What got you started in Land Rovers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What got you started in Land Rovers?

In 1981 I bought my first Land Rover. A 1967 series 2A 109 straight 6 2600cc.

She was a beaut. In 1983 I sold her to take my now Wife on our 1st holiday together. My future father in law told me to keep the LR and dump his daughter. Hmmmm

After 26 years I still couldn't get rid of the need for another landy and so bought Lincoln Lass with my Wife's blessing. The rest is history.

Hope you like the photo's of the original 2A.

I am 35 years old...I say that for reference on cultural icons relevant to my age as a kid. I think I saw a clip of a camel trophy event on TV or I saw the rover in The first "The Gods Must be Crazy" movie and that sparked the initial interest. I always liked the way they looked to be quite honest...the idea about being able to undo the floor boards to get to the transmission etc. When I look at a Jeep I think "Eh..whatever". Rovers and land Cruisers illicit some inner urge to take on the wilds.

My first job as a mechanic was at a Land Rover dealership, that was 1967 and I was still in High School (they apparently weren't very strict about child labor laws) That lasted until the Army got in the way. Later on I worked at a LR dealership again (2002-2004) lots of things had changed.(including my abilities around machines). Now in my retirement I bought my SIII and it's a toy since I don't need a daily driver of any kind.
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

Afer owning a 86 Jaguar XJ6 I wanted a British car with the least amount of Lucas electronics in it.

Quote Originally Posted by derekchace View Post
    Afer owning a 86 Jaguar XJ6 I wanted a British car with the least amount of Lucas electronics in it.
    And you got it!

Well, I guess it started wayyy back when with "Mutual of Omaha's, Wild Kingdom". They used some neat Land Rovers back in the '60's. I ran across a few during my days in the Army, with some Aussie Land Rovers. Then I got my first chance in the 80's with a Rover 3500S, not a Land Rover but fun anyway. I picked up my Series III in the mid 90's after I had retired, for something to play with (of course it had to be a V-8). My wife already had a R.R. Classic when we got married, so everything went well on that end.

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

I have done the VW thing, I've done the Jeep thing, I've done the Land Cruiser thing. Now I have my '73 SIII. It must be a natural progression!
    1973 SIII RHD 2.25 Petrol
    1992 RRC Hunter

I watched the usual shows as everyone else and saw it there. But every documentary I see involving the dessert or jungle, 99 times out of a 100, its a Land Rover they use. So I said if its good enough and tough enough for there, than it must be for me. I like ( or love) the fact its spartan, no heated seats, heated mirrors, no radio ( at least mine doesnt have one). I had an FJ40 as well, and I like this better. So after much thought, I cashed in some 401k money and bought a 69 88 bugeye. From a member on here I might add. Sold the Volvo v50 and been driving ever since. I can work on it, parts are just about everywhere ( most), and I am in no danger of seeing another parked at the coffee house anytime soon. But having said that, there will be a get together next week that I dont know about...lol.
    1969 Series 2a Bugeye

Though my older brother had a '66 88, that wasn't the first seed that was planted. My grandmother used to work for G Fox in Hartford and I remember one time she took me in the store and I was able to pick out a toy. So I got the zebra striped 109 Land Rover from Daktari. It also had the cross eyed lion and the monkey. I lost the other figures years ago but I still have that Daktari 109. Missing a couple wheels now . . .
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover View Post
    So I got the zebra striped 109 Land Rover from Daktari. It also had the cross eyed lion and the monkey.
    IIRC the crosseyed lion was named Clarence and the chimp was Judy...........