Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What got you started in Land Rovers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ncrover725 View Post
    As a child I have always seen rovers on TV show and either associated them with the adventurous or the rich. Being I didn't grow up rich I figured I would grow up to be adventurous and joined the Army. For seventeen years I deployed around the world and always checked out the series trucks and defenders every where I went. Last year I got a pretty decent injury that would not allow me to deploy on my next trip and gave me a week in bed once I got out of surgery. My wife decided I needed an IPad to occupy my time. Was that a mistake...... I read everything I could find on rovers and decided I would have one within a month or two (caught the bug). I sold my jeep, duck hunting boat, and a gun in order to buy my current 11a 109. My wife said she regrets buying that IPad every day now because all she hears is rover stuff and all she smells is 90 wt!!!!
    and people say that technology is bad . . .
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Good boy, more fun than the ipad. Made good use of it though.

She'll get used to the 90wt..............eventually.

Jeff, et al-

I actually sent my Fairey overdrive to George in RDS in the hope that he could rebuild it- this was in 2009. He got right on it and sent back an email with a catalogue of pictures and basically said it was a lost cause. Only the casing was usable; all the internals were chewed up. Might have something to do with me letting it run dry of oil while on an extended trip in Argentina. Anyway, I'm happy with the Roverdrive. Quiet, for one thing.

Ted- I know I sold my '73 series III in 1990, but I'm afraid I don't recall everyone who came to check it out. I was living in Hebron, ME at the time. I think I sold it to someone from Manchester in the end. Needed money for grad school.

Tom

Tom,

I had the same thing happen to my first Fairey when the drain plug fell out and I ran the Rover for many highway miles with no gear oil splashing about. The gears were blue in color and ruined. Only the casing was worth saving so I bought a new one and it's the same one that's on the car now.

So I try and change the gear oil annually to help extend the life of the overdrive. I'll have to try a Rover with a Roverdrive sometime.

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

As usual I am a few days late and a lot of dollars short but would like to add my story, too. I saw my first Land Rover in the summer of '51 or '52 when we lived in Wenatchee, WA. There were a number of them around used as dual purpose agricultural vehicles in the orchards as were a lot of jeeps. I was interested but anything but a hand-me-down pre-war Ford was out of the question money-wise.

During the 1960s I drove several LRs but International Travelalls suited our needs better and a Rover was not in the budget.

Passing through London in the summer of '93 Discos were all over the place. We ordered one in the Spring of '94 and took delivery in June. We have used it for a lot of offroad trips. We did the 98 Border to Border trek - about half of the rigs were Series Rovers and they proved to be more reliable than the coilers.

When we got home I bought a 69 swb and a few years later a Series I 86. The Disco is in Vancouver now getting a diesel conversion at Don's Rovertech shop.
    Cheers,
    Brian on Kootenay Lake

In Iraq in 2006 somehow my team was able to beg/borrow/steal a few brand new 110's. One even had an ambulance conversion. We drove them everywhere and it was my first experience with Land Rovers. The vehicles were the most sturdy, well designed, and besides a HMMWV, the best off road I had ever come across. Last summer after coming home from overseas again an Army buddy showed up with his Ex Mod 72 SIII. The steering wheel had about a half a meter of play in it and the thing was a dog but I loved it...so did my girlfriend (minus the 90wt smell!). He and I drove down to NH to look at an SIII 109 which had been nicely refurbished by a private collector. It had sat for about 5 years but fired right up. After a test drive and some bartering I paid cash, jumped in, and drove it 300 km home...No problems, all smiles. Been in love ever since. Yes, it has its quirks from time to time, and some parts are quite expensive, but what the hell...anyone can own a jeep right?
    No, its not a Jeep...update, actually it is for right now. I am temporarily Rover-less.

1972 SIII 109-sold

Between the Air Force and college I was living with my parents in Conway, NH to save some money and I needed to replace a recently totalled CJ7.*

I went looking for an affordable, work-onable (in fact, preferably needing work) 4x4. My first choice was FJ-40s. Loved 'em, but couldn't find anything without a TON of rust. Didn't even know much about Rovers at the time, really. (though I'd recently lived in Burlington for a year, so had some exposure). Somehow I learned that a guy that worked at Bob Duncan Camera in N.Conway had an SIII 88" about 85% restored in a barn in town. Fell in love enough to somehow scrape up the $2,500 and bought it. Worked on it for several months (full engine rebuild - pistons, bearings, etc). Coincidentally, right before I had it on the road, I found another SIII trop top behind a barn in Chatham for $50 (!!) that ran after about 8 hours of tinkering. I parked the first one, and drove the second to college.

Tragic sidenote, the first one ended up (loaded with THOUSANDS in spare parts) getting towed to a salvage yard when my buddy sold the business it was parked at (and I was 4 hours away at Umaine). And the second one (after blowing the rear main) as far as I know, is still behind an ex-girlfriends father's barn in North Dakota. Luckily, a few years ago, I found a 73 in Wisconsin and was able to buy it. Now my daily driver.

* (Southbound tractor trailer hit a moose on 16 in Ossipee and jackknifed across the road - I came around the corner 2:30am, bit misty, and saw a guy waving at me in coveralls on the side of the road, thought "What the ... !?!?" He was trying to warn me, but what he actually did was distract me from the road. When I turned back to the road, there was the box across the road with no lights on it. Too late. Plowed the jeep into the front left corner of the box hard enough to splay open the block. Woulda been skewered on the column without that seatbelt!)

It was around 2001 or so when someone ran a red light and totalled my immaculate 1991 Honda CRX Si. I searched for a few months trying to find another CRX that hadn't been riced beyond recognition, and after no luck, I decided to spend my insurance check on something British to complement my MkI Mini Cooper S. I almost pounced on a Triumph GT6 locally, but it had too many issues. So, I looked for an affordable, pre-1968 British contraption with a reputation for ease of repair, and came up with the Rover.

I ended up buying a 1965 IIA 88 RHD located 350 miles away. It was in worse shape than I thought, and the drive home took 3 consecutive weekends (I was in college and couldn't miss classes, plus the time lag in ordering parts from RN for the roadside repairs). After a month of heavy-duty sorting, I got the IIA in daily-driver condition, and used it as such for over a year, until I got another Honda.

Default What got you started in Land Rovers?

Childhood friend start driving it and learning on manual gear when I was 14years younger, and wish my son do the same so I decide to get same vechile since it is available not yet sold