Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What got you started in Land Rovers?

Default What got you started in Land Rovers?

In 1981 I bought my first Land Rover. A 1967 series 2A 109 straight 6 2600cc.

She was a beaut. In 1983 I sold her to take my now Wife on our 1st holiday together. My future father in law told me to keep the LR and dump his daughter. Hmmmm

After 26 years I still couldn't get rid of the need for another landy and so bought Lincoln Lass with my Wife's blessing. The rest is history.

Hope you like the photo's of the original 2A.

I am 35 years old...I say that for reference on cultural icons relevant to my age as a kid. I think I saw a clip of a camel trophy event on TV or I saw the rover in The first "The Gods Must be Crazy" movie and that sparked the initial interest. I always liked the way they looked to be quite honest...the idea about being able to undo the floor boards to get to the transmission etc. When I look at a Jeep I think "Eh..whatever". Rovers and land Cruisers illicit some inner urge to take on the wilds.

My first job as a mechanic was at a Land Rover dealership, that was 1967 and I was still in High School (they apparently weren't very strict about child labor laws) That lasted until the Army got in the way. Later on I worked at a LR dealership again (2002-2004) lots of things had changed.(including my abilities around machines). Now in my retirement I bought my SIII and it's a toy since I don't need a daily driver of any kind.
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

Afer owning a 86 Jaguar XJ6 I wanted a British car with the least amount of Lucas electronics in it.

Quote Originally Posted by derekchace View Post
    Afer owning a 86 Jaguar XJ6 I wanted a British car with the least amount of Lucas electronics in it.
    And you got it!

Well, I guess it started wayyy back when with "Mutual of Omaha's, Wild Kingdom". They used some neat Land Rovers back in the '60's. I ran across a few during my days in the Army, with some Aussie Land Rovers. Then I got my first chance in the 80's with a Rover 3500S, not a Land Rover but fun anyway. I picked up my Series III in the mid 90's after I had retired, for something to play with (of course it had to be a V-8). My wife already had a R.R. Classic when we got married, so everything went well on that end.

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Default my uncle

My Uncle in Australia owned a 72? SIII 110 and had it absolutely "decked out" for Expeditions, which he faithfully did each year, owning it from new - followed by two more I know of - completing many treks across the Gibson Desert, Canning Stock Route and N,S, E & W across Australia a number of times. This led to my passion with them from 5 years old up...I was hooked by shows such as The Leyland Brothers and Alby Mangels - Australian Adventure shows that featured them from time to time.

After spending time in the ADF and driving around in them (highly modified ) I left Australia and went to Kenya where I was a safari guide in the various parks - driving both LR's and Unimogs.

Many years and exciting adventures since, I am settled in VA with enough disposable income (sometimes) to get involved again. I have had a 95 RRC LWB as a semi daily driver for 10 years. And have been looking for many for the right project Series...which I found right in time for a great Christmas Present!!
    1963 Series IIa 109" 5 door Safari top (SOLD to new home)
    1971 Series IIa 88" Soft top (SOLD to new home)
    1995 RRC - LWB
    2001 Discovery II SE7 (SOLD to new home)

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and the Gods Must Be Crazy totally sold me. Not to mention the Brits had them and they were/ are way cooler than M151.

I bought ours about six years ago...73 88.
    1973 Series III 88. "PHYDXO"

Back in the early '80s I spent almost a year in Australia. A month or so was spent on Magnetic Island, just off Townsville. I worked for a youth hostel and had free use of their old Mini and ex-military 109. I continually said to myself...Someday...Someday. Well, that day arrived about 12 or 13 years ago, and my old 1973 88" came home with me. My wife was FAR from happy at first, but now she regularly says "Let's take the fun car!"

I remember seeing them in the 70's on Mutual of Omaha. That is not what got me into them. I was in B&N in 2002 looking at magazines and happened to pick up LROI. I was hooked but it took me a few years before I bought my first LR. All those magazines I bought in the meantime probably would have paid for the Rover!
    1960 88" SII Pliny the Elder
    1997 D-90
    "Fear profits man, nothing"