Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Strange Noise

Quote Originally Posted by jp-
    It's just you.
    if i weren't already crying over spilled hydrolic fluid, that would have set me crying
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

I am beginning to believe that it is the relief valve in the oil cooler. My oil level is full. I did drop the pan and change the gasket so I might have some cavitation as well. It comes and goes so I'll keep an eye on things. I will replace the lines and clean it out well when I install a new breakfast this summer. Thanks for the replies.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME
    I am beginning to believe that it is the relief valve in the oil cooler...
    Jim-ME, does it sound like an angry pig? Sort of a 'oink oink' sound? If so then I'd agree with MercedesRover. It's the pressure relief valve for your oil cooler.

It can be a bit embarrassing at stop lights but otherwise nothing to worry about.

The only way I can really describe it, is that it sounds like a power steering pump that is very tired and cranked all the way to the left or the right. More or a whine than a rattle (which I have been told is a bad bearing). I will add the the sound comes from the front by the oil cooler not further back in the engine compartment. Yes, it sure does draw attention at stop lights but I can live with it if it is essentially nothing to worry about.
    Jim

Hmm, mabye I should take a second look under the hood again.

Default Strange noise

I agree with the oil cooler valve as being the problem. The noise is also known as the "military groan". On my truck the noise goes away when the oil is clean returns as it gets dirtier.

Jim-ME,

From all the info you've posted - it is the relief valve at the entrance of the oil cooler:

My only question is if this is simply a whine due to the valve/set-up, or if it is directly related to oil level and/or air in the system.

Regards,

Tom P.
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

I believe it is due to the setup not due to low oil level or air in the system. My oil level is between H and L on the dipstick and no where near min. I'm not sure how to bleed the cooler other than remove the sump side of the cooler. I will do that shortly to eliminate any possibility of air. Thanks for the reply.
    Jim