Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Temporary" Demist Solution

Default "Temporary" Demist Solution

Have my lower dash pulled in an attempt to fabricate a non-rusting, better equipped, fiberglass version. So As winter got winterier, I needed to come up with something to "demist" my windshield. After much mulling and sketching and wandering around everything from Big Boxes, to surplus shacks, I came up with this. Works very well. Little far to reach while driving (just drove up on a curb today adjusting it!) and when the cabin vent is closed, it whistles pretty annoyingly (even above everything else), but the defroster works great. This kind of success is not going to be good motivation to get on that lower dash project!

A little less elaborate, but this is my backup demister/what I use when I don't want to wait for the engine to get warm enough to clear the windshield:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I've used these for years:

My wife picks them up for a few $ when they go on sale.
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Looks like I over engineered again!

Heated windscreen = joy.

Quote Originally Posted by printjunky View Post
    Looks like I over engineered again!
    I like it.
    I have often thought of using a 'good' lower dash as a plug, making a mold, then making fiberglass lowers. They all seem to rust out eventually.

I stopped using RainX products several years ago when I found NanoFilm. I use their Clarity Defender on all out vehicle glass. I have never tried their anti-fog products, but I'm sure they are an equal improvement over RainX. It looks like handy applicators too, so might be worth a try...
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

I did the same type of thing since my lower dash was bad. It makes some noise, but it works. At least I know when I get out to turn off the blower motor

Let me know how you are coming with you fabrication project. That has been on my list for many months.
    David
    1973 exMOD Series III 109
    1988 RRC

Like Terrys said and I've posted before, my plan is to use my pretty good (externally) condition lower dash as a plug to make a mold, from which to make a plug over which to lay up a new dash.

I'm mulling including a molded-in spot for a head unit, some speakers and (gasp) cup holders.