Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here with Defender 130 driving experience/owner

Default Anyone here with Defender 130 driving experience/owner

Looking at a Defender 130 and would really like any advice/thoughts from anyone who has owned or used the 130. Would be a daily driver. Engine is a TD5. Any advice appreciated.

I've only driven one briefly, but it drove like a limo, very smooth. Plus it's an amazing looking and capable truck. I know one person who daily drives it, and I don't believe he'd ever get rid of it.
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

look over at d-90.com in the forum sections, this is a frequently discussed topic over there. Doug from Dividing Creek Rover Imports drives one, he might be able to answer any questions you might have.

-Rob
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

I have a bit of experience driving a 127. The one I drive from time to time is a 200 TDI. I have always been impressed with the power, it does not seem too much pokier than my 110 with a 300 TDI. The ride is fantastic, the double cab is super convenient as is the truck bed. I did a 3 hour trip to retrieve a wood stove in it and it rode even better on the return leg with the 450 lbs. stove in the back.

The TD5 is not my favorite Defender engine. I drove a new TD5 a good bit in the early 2000s. It has most of the complexity of the Puma, with a fraction the benefit. The "drive by wire" electronic throttle felt disconnected and doggy... like you go deeper in the throttle and the engine does not react. The top end felt gutless and the speed is electronically limited. The power felt comparable to my 300 TDI (which has a full length intercooler and the boost turned up). Although the TD5 I drove was stock, I think you could "chip" it to get a bit more out of it. On the other hand the Puma is AWESOME! Snappy response, the electronic throttle does not feel weird at all. Technically I think the Puma and the TD5 make the same amount of HP, but the Puma makes more torque and it does it in such a way that it feels much quicker and more powerful.

Back to the TD5, Fleet users in Africa and other remote regions really had trouble with the TD5 coping with poor fuels etc. So I would not get it if you plan on moving to the bush. Stick with a 300 TDI. All in all, not a bad motor, I just think the 300 TDI and the Puma are better.

Motor aside, I might choose a TD5 vehicle over a 2 or 300 TDI vehicle, simply for the other upgrades they made over the years. I liked the interior and dash of the TD5 I drove and I know the front axles and brakes were upgraded. Plus a TD5 is bound to be a newer vehicle less apt to have old truck woes.

All said, I think you would be really happy with a TD5 Defender 130. The real question is legality, I have heard of a few stories of happy "grey market" owners that had their truck for years until they got in a fender bender and customs showed up a week later and confiscated the truck... yielding an an unhappy no longer owner.

I'm a 130 (TD5) owner, it's my daily driver. I live in Sydney (Aus) - its the worst road network in this country (tiny, windy streets everywhere) and I have no dramas getting the beast around.

A rear-view camera is a must.

They are lower geared than a 110 because of the extra towing and carrying capacity, so not as economical on the highway as the 110. You can fix that with an overdrive or new gears in the transfer case.

I wont go back to a 110 now, I love my 130.

Cheers,

Adam

Default looking at a 130 as well...

So what's the definition of 'gray market'?

I'm looking at a rig built up from a D90 donor. My concern is I hit someone and get into the situation mentioned above.

Other than buying the rare jewel--an original 25 year old factory-built 130--what are the 'legal' options?

Edit: Nevermind this message...
    Last edited by ThePhotographer; 03-20-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales

Quote Originally Posted by texrover View Post
    So what's the definition of 'gray market'?

I'm looking at a rig built up from a D90 donor. My concern is I hit someone and get into the situation mentioned above.

Other than buying the rare jewel--an original 25 year old factory-built 130--what are the 'legal' options?
    You can't actually buy a 25 year old 130. You could get a 127, but the 130s weren't available until I believe late 1990, which would be illegal. Originally 127s were made by welding in an additional 17" to a 110 chassis, so maybe you could do that
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhotographer View Post
    Grey market refers to vehicles are legally vague. Such as bringing in "parts trucks". While definitively not legal or illegal, the border is grey and is open to interpretation. 1987 and older are legal right now, newer parts trucks and trucks brought in for various exemptions would be considered grey market.

Grey Market Vehicle —
    Vehicle previously registered or titled outside of the U.S. and may not comply with U.S. safety and emissions standards.
    Do not be confused by this term. Grey market does not have anything to do with legality of a vehicle or the year of build. It simply means a vehicle built for use in a foriegn market then imported to the USA.
    1973 NADA 88

My mistake, I was misinformed
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales