Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here with Defender 130 driving experience/owner

Quote Originally Posted by kellymoe View Post
    I have owned my RHD 130 crew cab for about 10 years now and for the last 8 years it was my daily driver here in Los Angeles. It's a 3.5 litre V8 with LT85. I love driving and the only complaint I have is that in the summer it can get pretty hot without AC. I sound deadened it soon after I bought it and it help a lot with engine and road noise. The window mechanisms were shot so I rplaced them with a power window kit off Ebay for $90, it was an cheap easy solution to and expensive problem. All in all I still love driving it but now it seems to only get driven on long vacations, I need to start paying more attention to her.
    Thank you for the input. Sometimes I feel as if I am chasing a white whale but, hopefully, I will be able to find what I am looking for eventually.

my first starter just stopped working.....one minute it was fine and then just click click click but that was it..........long story short i bought a reconditioned one and had a sorta friend sorta mechanic replace it for me........turned out to not be such a good idea.
    It wasn't installed properly and the top bolt was stripped out.......when i turned the key over the teeth were not making good contact.....worked ok for a week and then started getting harder and harder to start till it just wouldn't start at all anymore.........when we pulled the starter out it had 3 teeth left on it. anyway. new starter and its been perfect since.

Quote Originally Posted by koltonstanley View Post
    i drive a 130 TD5
    its my daily driver and so far i LOVE it........
    my only issue so far was really the starter.....replaced it once with a refurbished starter that lasted about a month....now i got a new one in and so far so good.
    if your in a cold climate my only other creature comfort issue would be the heat........there is no heat unless you are driving at highway speeds....then heat is great.......once i slow down the air cools right off......
    my truck is just over 180,000 Km.........
    Something is wrong with your truck if this is the case. Try disconnecting the hoses going into your heater and flushing it out. The heater tends to be the high point on a td5 cooling system and low coolannt levels results in little to no heat @ lower rpm .
    DividingCreekImports.com
    Tdi 130 Crew Cab x2
    110 V8 5 door

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland 110 View Post
    Something is wrong with your truck if this is the case. Try disconnecting the hoses going into your heater and flushing it out. The heater tends to be the high point on a td5 cooling system and low coolannt levels results in little to no heat @ lower rpm .

hmmm yeah im starting to get the feeling something is up.......everyone keeps saying it shouldnt be the way it is.
    its super hot and great when im driving along on a highway but as soon as i get off the highway within 2 minutes air is cold again........im gonna look into it a bit......
    on another note, you have a 130 coming up for sale soon?
    im interested.......

Kolton...you selling yours already?? Or just adding a 2nd to the stable?
    Jason Lavender
    '71 Series IIA
    '88 127 #F96 DKN
    '94 NAS 90 #324
    '06 LR3 HSE
    www.SeriesDefender.com

Quote Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
    Kolton...you selling yours already?? Or just adding a 2nd to the stable?
    no no LOVE the 130......want another.....although id sell to upgrade.......

so i cant belive im even going to tell you guys this but i checked my coolant level today and it was EMPTY!! im talking EMPTY......truck never showed any signs OTHER THEN NO HEAT!
    I filled it up today and PRESTO I HAVE HEAT!!! ive been driving around freezing for the last month and all i needed to do was add some coolant.......
    SO now i love the 130 even more!!!

Just the reservoir was empty? Or the radiator? In assuming the former....but keep an eye out for where you may have a coolant leak as its a closed system and shouldn't disappear.

Had you checked it since you bought the vehicle?
    Jason Lavender
    '71 Series IIA
    '88 127 #F96 DKN
    '94 NAS 90 #324
    '06 LR3 HSE
    www.SeriesDefender.com

Quote Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
    Just the reservoir was empty? Or the radiator? In assuming the former....but keep an eye out for where you may have a coolant leak as its a closed system and shouldn't disappear.

Had you checked it since you bought the vehicle?
    it was just the reservoir.......but i mean it was the reservoir AND some......
    I never checked it since i bought it......drove it on some pretty hot days and the temp guage never went above normal.......
    I will definitely keep an eye on it but i have not seen any leaks...and no signs of leaks....other then there not being any coolant anyway......
    we shall see!

Kolton,
    I know you sold the truck but Td5's have a myriad of places where coolant can leak like the O rings on the fuel cooler etc.
    DividingCreekImports.com
    Tdi 130 Crew Cab x2
    110 V8 5 door