Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defender + Series owners

Default Defender + Series owners

How many of you guys own both a Defender and a Series?
    Which one do you drive more? and Why?

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

I've had series trucks of all descriptions since 1972. I have only had one Defender, an NAS110, and it's what I drive more as it's reliable, comfortable and quicker. It requires no less the work though. I've owned it 10 years now, more than any one series truck. My series present series truck is a '73 88. My son has expressed some desire to part with his Stage One. I may give that some thought. I've owned some series trucks more than once, and may buy back my old 2A109.

I have a Series 3 88 and an Ex-Mod 110. The 88 gets a lot more use in the summer while it is a soft top but the two trucks get equal use in the winter once the pick up cab goes on the 88. For highway or longer trips, the 110 gets the nod. Nicer ride and much better cruising speed with the Tdi.

If I had to get rid of one of them, pretty sure it would be the 110.

Brett
    Series 3 88 Diesel Soft Top
    Ex-Mod 110 Tdi

I own a 1997 Defender and a SII 88. The Defender has been to the border of Mexico and into Canada. This last year I daily drove the Defender. And it has been spot on. I drive it more for two reasons - it is everything the Series is and a bit more user friendly, and I am able to maintain it at a level that makes it infinitely more reliable. Not the Series fault - it has just had issues that I have not had the time to track down. I think I may have solved that a couple weekends ago though. So have been running it around on the weekends since. Tomorrow if the weather is sunny as predicted I am Driving the Series to work.

If I had to get rid of one of my cars - the Land Rovers are safe. I also have a FJ62 Land Cruiser that would get the axe!!!
    1960 88" SII Pliny the Elder
    1997 D-90
    "Fear profits man, nothing"

And wouldn't you know it I go to take it to work and I drove the Series to the light down the block and something is amiss in the front end. Diff is missing a tooth or something more sinister? Not sure, but the Defender came to the rescue and got me to work! LOL
    1960 88" SII Pliny the Elder
    1997 D-90
    "Fear profits man, nothing"

Clint - are you thinking of getting a Defender?

I've been looking for a while now. But other things seem to come up...

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Default Series + Defender Owner

After 12+ years and 70,000 miles in a stock 1963 Series IIA 88 Land Rover we purchased a Defender 110 with 300tdi. Being tall it is nice to have a better fit in the seat position. Also nice to be able to run with the big dogs if necessary. Since most of my trips in the series were provisioned for two people, 8 days and always loaded it always had trouble on the hills. The Defender seems to work well loaded or unloaded and still have quirks like the Series. The Series on a good day got 21 mpg but 17 mpg was the norm and offroad it was around 12 mpg if we were lucky. The Defender consistantly does 26 mpg and pushing the hills or offroad drops to 22 mpg. I have only had the Defender about six months and I have logged over 10,000 miles on a rig I am still learning about. The Series is garaged and seldom driven waiting for its next adventure.

I have a d-90 1995 and an S3. The defender gets driven far more as the series is still more a project than anything else.

The defender is routinely called a jeep. The series generates way more waves and stares.
    1995 NAS D-90 Soft Top, AA Yellow
    1973 Series III '88 Hard Top, Limestone
    1957 Series I, Deep bronze green

We have a series III swb which is our workhorse and the 110 station wagon is the family truckster. The 110 gets a lot more use as it is practical for the whole family.