Thread: 1998 warm start issue

Default 1998 warm start issue

Several times when shut off warm for between 10 and 20 minutes it will start hard and stumble, gas does nearly nothing but choke it more and will clear up in about 15 seconds. It never does it when shut off briefly for a gas stop or for longer than 30 minutes. It always starts fine cold ect. I've heard everything from a fuel temp sensor, crank position sensor, injectors to a tire being low lol... Anyone have experience with this and know what it is? It has not been often enough to easily identify. Truck has 205k but always redundantly maintained, synthetic every 3k, all other fluids done annually, plugs and wires are 3 months old and I always run premium fuel...

if you can make it happen consistently start working down the list, lacking fuel or spark, would definitely add ignition module to the list of things to check though.

Thanks, nothing is consistent is what is troubling me. I have heard that coil packs will stop working hot, get them wet and they work. Thing is it is only once in awhile and only between 10-30 minutes of being shut off, no other time. I thought about fuel pump as a friend said his did the same thing before it just would not run at all, this took a year though. I am not sure on that one. My experience with pumps is they just stop working all together. I've been told crank position sensor, fuel temp sensor, injectors...My experience with CPS is they work or the don't. fuel temp sensor, I would think hot is hot, not the magic time frame it acts up. injectors possibly if they leak down and then the fuel evaporates after the 30 minutes. It does not smell rich, nor have I noticed any change in mileage...No check engine lights either of course. I have recent plugs and wires as of about 6 months ago, this just started happening last month. Just wondering if anyone else out there had a similar thing going on and figured it out before I risk denting the truck throwing parts at it. If I could get it to happen like clockwork, I could run tests, it will not cooperate though.