Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: importing

Default importing

im always thinking of new and stupid ways to make money. im curious how much it costs to import a vehicle from germany or england to the east coast(nh). total cost begining to end. any help would be great thanks!

Probably best to contact Maryland 110 or derekchace.
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

thanks zack. my buddy and i are talking about starting something up buying and selling older rovers. he has the money i have the know how. he has a 109 ex. anyway then i watched wheeler dealer last nite and the did an mid 80's defender(bought for 3000 pounds) nice frame just needed cosmetics. fixed it up mint and sold it for 6000 pounds.(thing looked brand new) so it got me thinking........

Oh absolutely... it happens all the time. Unfortunately what's happening a lot of the time is that people are bringing in shotty trucks and just making them pretty, inflating the market with poorly maintained 90s & 110s. Right now up to '87 is legal, and if you can buy in bulk then shipping will be a lot cheaper!
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

Shipping is the easy part, about $3000 to east coast. Finding a truck that is not falling apart is the hard part. Look at trucks that are maintained regardless of cost, MOD, ambulances, and municipal vehicles are a good place to start. Ask for lots of pics, and if seller does not want to send, any or seems guarded in his answers, walk away fast.

Or if you can swing it, make a reliable contact in the UK or where ever you are planning on importing from, who can make a physical inspection of the vehicle for you. The person you choose for this should be someone who actually knows what to look for.

Thanks guys, my intent is to bring in good trucks and make them better. basically something that doesnt need frame floor or bulkhead work. maybe just needs some tlc some defender rims that kind of stuff. if im going to do it im going to do it right. thats my name on the truck when i sell it and i dont want to be some average douche who hides problems to sell vehicles. i have been emailg back and forth with maryland110 a lot and i think i have an idea of how its going to work. now th hunt is on.
    gchinsr how do you find municipal vehicles? is there a website?
    and partsman i actually know a guy who does antiques over there and ships them back to nh and has auctions. maybe i could get him to take a look for me. he is very mechanically inclined. or maybe i just go over for a week and find one. who knows

also how much to convert to LHD? just an option i want to look into. also german cars are LHD anyone had an experience importing from them?

Good luck finding a LHD.
    GMR Imports
    802-655-4874
    802-324-3370
    gmr4x4.com

Unless you can have some one you trust to inspect and test drive the Defender in the UK your asking for major trouble. Good luck but it's a lot harder to do then sounds.
    GMR Imports
    802-655-4874
    802-324-3370
    gmr4x4.com